Mini quads

I'm looking for a min quad that could be used indoors, but mostly outside. I was looking at some kits around 122mm- 135mm.

I want something that can handle a light breeze. I have an Inductrix, FlipSide Nano and a Nano Qx which are all fun outside but it has to be no air movement. I want something a bit bigger, more powerful and possibly FPV. I also want BNF.

I've seen that carbon fiber conducts, so I'm leaning to a plastic frame. I started getting the idea looking at the micro-motors website at the frames..

Anyone mess around with the micro stuff? I'm having a blast with these around the house.

F

fengshuidrone

I've built two quads entirely out of CF with no electrical problems or shorting due to the frame.

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty good about not leaving exposed wires, so that shouldn't be an issue. I thought I read somewhere about CF causing interference on radio/video communication.

F

fengshuidrone

I just built a CF H style quad with FPV. The TX is mounted directly to a plate of CF. The same cannot be said of the antenna. The antenna mounts to the TX which is mounted to the CF plate. My FPV works great in spite of the CF build and the supposed interference issue. My bluetooth is mounted directly to the center of a large CF plate with hot glue. The bluetooth works great as well. Just passing along what I've learned from reality.

Thanks for the info. That makes me a bit more comfortable with the CF.. Is the bluetooth for video link? I haven't put my hands on any fpv stuff yet, just been watching videos. I'm really new to this stuff and so far, it looks like I want atleast 1 of each. Every time I think I found what I want, I find something more interesting.

F

fengshuidrone

Thanks for the info. That makes me a bit more comfortable with the CF.. Is the bluetooth for video link?
On my quad I use the BT to change settings in my FC like PIDs, magnetic declination and other GPS stuff, and log flight info to my EZ GUI app on my android phone (which the BT is set up to hook up to.) I also use the EZ GUI to program in and fly autonomous missions. It can be used to program in different flight profiles for different quads or even different profiles for the same quad. So, lets say I want to go up in prop size an inch now and then. I can profile two different setups into my FC from the app so they (two different PID settings) can be used when I change props.
That's part of the fun of running an open source FC. I can program my Multiwii Mega board to do lots of different things.
On my FPV quad the video is handled by a $27.95 RX and TX combo bought on Amazon and a ten dollar ccd 700tvl cam. I am waiting on a pair of cloverleaf antennae to replace the standard black stubs.
Here's a link to my build thread showing that CF FPV quad: http://multirotorforums.com/threads/carbon-fiber-h-style-quad-build.29318/
I ended up making the FPV quad mission capable like my other quad is.

Last edited:

Thats some pretty cool stuff. I didn't look through the whole thread yet, but I'm going to.. Is the BT logging something that everyone does or are you a tinkerer? I've seen some info about programming the FC, but not sure how often it tweaked or monitored.

F

fengshuidrone

I can use the logging in quite a few ways. It is used in my app to show actual flight path vs. programmed one and files can be converted and transferred to other apps and used in those. Most people that fly Multiwii FC use the log files in some way. The FPV stuff got added to the build near the end of the thread.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@Fred Flintstone
if I don't get in too late tonight I'm going to head over to Round Valley School tomorrow, probably around 10 to do some flying. feel free to stop by and say hello.

Bart

Thanks for the offer Bart.. I'm going to be up in Randolph tomorrow. Sundays are tough. I'm off the week after Christmas.. Definitely want to meet up.