Mikrokopter speed controllers on power distribution board with DJI Wookong

Firstbuild

Has anyone used a mikrokopter power distribution board and speed controllers with dji wookong flight system? Can it be done?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Has anyone used a mikrokopter power distribution board and speed controllers with dji wookong flight system? Can it be done?

Can it be done? Yes. Has it been done? Not successfully that I know of. I've been contemplating trying it on my Droidworx AD6 once WKM #2 gets here but I just can't get past the idea of stripping down a perfectly good working MK Hexa just to try it.

The setup is actually pretty simple, two wires, ground and PPM connection point on the BL to the appropriate connectors on the WKM motor ports, jumpers 4/5 on the MK BLs have to be open so on the BLs that have that connection made it will have to be desoldered. If I were going to do it I'd clear all the motor number jumpers just to be sure and maybe even pull at least one of the C/D jumpers to the PDB though that shouldn't be necessary for it to work.

If you try it let us know how it goes...

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
what's the current take on using other ESC's? are the cheap ones back in vogue or is the multi-rotor community waiting on DJI branded ones?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk tried it on a hexa.. think he could get 4 of the six motors spinning but gave up after a few hours of faffining.. In theory as Ken says it should be possible but if Geoff could not figure it out it aint going to be as straight forward as it sounds

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
what's the current take on using other ESC's? are the cheap ones back in vogue or is the multi-rotor community waiting on DJI branded ones?

I don't know of anyone delaying a build to wait for the DJI ESC's. Chances are they're just going to be a repackaging of someone else's hardware anyway maybe with custom firmware to eliminate the throttle filtering found in 99.9% of the standard PWM ESC's.

The Turnigy Plush and derivatives seem to work fine with the WKM, I don't think a custom built ESC is going to make a huge difference in the way the controller flys.

Ken