Meet uSense, an affordable multispectral camera for drones

josebarreiros

encuesta-logo.png

As you, we are passionate about drones and agricultural applications. At the moment, we have developed a low-cost camera that would let you know about health of plants and crops through NDVI multispectral analysis. The good news is that we will launch it by a crowdfunding project in Kickstarter. Here there are the main features of uSense camera.

usense-forum-post-lq.png

To drive our product to the right market we would like to know your comments and thoughts regarding the next questions:

1. Type of uses that you will do it with a camera like that.

2. What are the features that you will love add it?

3. How much you will be willing to pay?

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate the time and any link that you think could help us as well.

If you want to know more, don't hesitate to contact us!

Cheers,

USense Team

usense@southmade.org

elfkind

I'm so interested that I just signed up for this forum :) . I am new to the idea of NDVI multispectral analysis, so It's limitations are not totally apparent to me (in a few weeks I should be caught up). My first thought is that an entry level device capable of multispectral analysis is missing in the market. I could learn so much faster if i could experiment as I do with my Arduino or my Raspberry pi. I have taught myself plant diagnosis (based on leaf observation) even though I am NOT a farmer. It is difficult at first because there are many nuances in plant biology that must be understood, such as where on the plant the signs first show up, what elements are mobile and non mobile in the plant structure and the differences between pathogen problems and nutrition problems. I have recently discovered the our US state law enforcement agencies are using mapping in the Blue wavelengths to identify vegetation species from the air (I've spoken with the individual that crunches the cloud points for such a project) and I wonder about the feasibility of identifying invasive species so that herbicides could be more targeted.

It is my opinion that:
•Farming based on actual plant knowledge is a dying art and a faster way to "see" what has always been there is an answer for the new generation to side step Monsanto's Monopoly on agritech.
• The movement of mobile nutrients over our landscape is one of the biggest problems we face with salt based nutrition. I experiment with closed loop/ recycling systems and knowing what elements are where has EVERYTHING to do with remedying a bad situation quickly.
• Todays farmers are way too busy in the physical world to apply this technology effectively and see the greater patterns in the local landscapes. This blindness lends itself to the greater and greater over application of chemicals due to sales hype. MYTH IS AGRICULTURES GREATEST ENEMY.

I could go on and on..... and then there is the area associated with Storm Waters and their run off effects.

I was not planning on writing this reply today, so I must cut it off here. I am very interested in the science, the application, the deployment and training of new recruits. Please keep me informed and I will keep studying. I have a very different career but my passion is here. Thank You!!

StevetotheH

Right off the bat, reading your questions, you butcher the English language so thoroughly that I question the legitimacy of going to market. This reads very much like a Nigerian email scam.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

josebarreiros

I'm so interested that I just signed up for this forum :) . I am new to the idea of NDVI multispectral analysis, so It's limitations are not totally apparent to me (in a few weeks I should be caught up). My first thought is that an entry level device capable of multispectral analysis is missing in the market. I could learn so much faster if i could experiment as I do with my Arduino or my Raspberry pi. I have taught myself plant diagnosis (based on leaf observation) even though I am NOT a farmer. It is difficult at first because there are many nuances in plant biology that must be understood, such as where on the plant the signs first show up, what elements are mobile and non mobile in the plant structure and the differences between pathogen problems and nutrition problems. I have recently discovered the our US state law enforcement agencies are using mapping in the Blue wavelengths to identify vegetation species from the air (I've spoken with the individual that crunches the cloud points for such a project) and I wonder about the feasibility of identifying invasive species so that herbicides could be more targeted.

It is my opinion that:
•Farming based on actual plant knowledge is a dying art and a faster way to "see" what has always been there is an answer for the new generation to side step Monsanto's Monopoly on agritech.
• The movement of mobile nutrients over our landscape is one of the biggest problems we face with salt based nutrition. I experiment with closed loop/ recycling systems and knowing what elements are where has EVERYTHING to do with remedying a bad situation quickly.
• Todays farmers are way too busy in the physical world to apply this technology effectively and see the greater patterns in the local landscapes. This blindness lends itself to the greater and greater over application of chemicals due to sales hype. MYTH IS AGRICULTURES GREATEST ENEMY.

I could go on and on..... and then there is the area associated with Storm Waters and their run off effects.

I was not planning on writing this reply today, so I must cut it off here. I am very interested in the science, the application, the deployment and training of new recruits. Please keep me informed and I will keep studying. I have a very different career but my passion is here. Thank You!!

Thanks for your feedback.
Those are really interesting points that you bring up. uSense do fit in this market gap for precision agriculture experimentation. In fact, we hope the next version will be open source to allow enthusiasts explore spectral imaging technology.
I think some farmers are not using multispectral images due to there is the need of an expert to analyze data and get a real value to farmers. At the moment, the main goal for every company in precision agriculture is to make a system that actually recommends what to do regarding irrigation, fertilization and other conditions, so farmers would not need always an expert.

Our first approach to this problem is bringing to market an affordable multispectral camera to spread the use of precision agriculture worldwide.
For sure, I'm going to tell you the updates of the project.

josebarreiros

Right off the bat, reading your questions, you butcher the English language so thoroughly that I question the legitimacy of going to market. This reads very much like a Nigerian email scam.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

First, Why an email scam should come from Nigeria?, Are you serious?. Second, sorry for my grammar, people who speaks three languages will understand.

elfkind

I think some farmers are not using multispectral images due to there is the need of an expert to analyze data and get a real value to farmers.

I agree, especially after downloading EVERY open source abstract on the topic I can find, there are always two locked doorways to learning a new topic... learning the vocabulary and gathering the data points (or equipment to gather the numbers) needed to start evaluation. Consider this, Pix4d has made Photogrammetry accessible to the masses thru their software. ALSO, their webinars teach you everything from theory to gathering the data and using the software. The software will come, uav flight is a semi unpredictable artform all it's own with a considerable investment in time and testing. I have had to skip real work in order to learn. As I write this, ASD inc. has started a remote sensing training class in Colorado .... 12 hours of class for $980 and that it to just use THEIR equipment. I would need an employer to pay that expense.

Also consider that GoPro did not come out with the 4k camera to start, they progressed with their following and subsequent funding. Go pro is the leader in "look at me video" because it was first to market, with what would now be considered a crappy camera. Their durability keeps them there with very few changes to the actual module.

I see that most of the scientific abstracts I've found on this NEW remote sensing area have actually been written in the last 3 years, so have the text books that I have managed to get my hands on. Once this science has proven itself to the masses (and even me, still) the race will be on.

I would not be surprised to see Pix4d modify their platform to include Multispectral, they are half way there already.

Botom line: If I can not collect the numbers to start comparisons, then I can not do anything at all, EVEN LEARN. In aquaculture, if one does not have a ph measuring device and a TDS meter and use it to drive by the numbers, then one is not actually growing anything, more importantly, SKILL can never be aquired. Modifying a complex system absolutely starts with a device that can measure important values. Once you have the device, you can start learning and in turn.... start knowing why you might need a better device. ( I started with PH drops and now I use real devices because their value is know to me). Honestly, we all have no choice but to start learning if agriculture is going to keep up with population expansion, every bit of efficiency will need to be squeezed out of the system. Thank you for your reply.... I need to go measure some stuff now.

Wilson Duarte

I'm very interested in these cameras.
Feel free to get in touch if you want a partner here in Brazil.
We have a lot of customers that will really like these cameras. It seems very accessible for the average farmers since the ones that are in the market now are very expensive.