Maldives in 4K (DJI Inspire 1 in Maldives)

pgaucher

Hello everyone,

Happy Lunar New Year for those who celebrate it.

Here is my inaugural video shot entirely in 4K with the Inspire 1. The Maldives has a unique topography and the fact that all of this will disappear in the near future is even more motivation to capture the beauty of the place from the air.

Over 4 hours of footage condensed to a 2 minute video for your viewing pleasure.

I would really love for this video to make the Top 5 on Skypixel so your votes on that website are appreciated.

Big thanks to Johno Wells for the creation of the corporate logo and intro sequence.

Without further delay, please enjoy the Maldives in 4K.

Skypixel Link (where you can vote)
https://www.skypixel.com/videos/maldives-in-4k-dji-inspire-1-in-maldives

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Nice dude! First footage from the Inspire 1 that looks REALLY nice! Any post done besides cutting?

pgaucher

Nice dude! First footage from the Inspire 1 that looks REALLY nice! Any post done besides cutting?
Thank you for your comment, it is very appreciated. For the video, I needed to reduce the exposure on a lot of shots since the footage was blown out. Aside from that, practically no other corrections. The colours in the Maldives are very unique and what you see on this video is what you actually get. Fantastic place.
Would be great if you shared the video on some form of social media. Not that I get anything out of it, but it would be good to get some traction on this video. Thanks again for your feedback. Cheers

dazzab

That is lovely. There are some fantastic scenes in there. I like how steady the Inspire films. I did find the contrast and exposure much too high on a lot of it. I've been reading up on the Inspire camera as it looks like I might be purchasing one for an upcoming job and it does seem to quite impressive for such a small sensor. Did you try a polariser at any point?

pgaucher

That is lovely. There are some fantastic scenes in there. I like how steady the Inspire films. I did find the contrast and exposure much too high on a lot of it. I've been reading up on the Inspire camera as it looks like I might be purchasing one for an upcoming job and it does seem to quite impressive for such a small sensor. Did you try a polariser at any point?
Hi there and thanks for your feedback. The exposure is significantly higher than what I would have needed. It got to the point where I could almost not see anything on screen. Now, the Maldives on a calm and sunny day is like filming over a mirror on which we project sunlight. Essentially, all you will see is light so I believe these were extreme conditions (too perfect in fact, but light comes right back up at you). I tried to make the adjustments in post, but am struggling to reduce the glare on many shots I took. The bright side does give it a magical cinematic look and feel, but on other shots, it's simply way too blown out. If you have any tips on how to correct this, please let me know. I worked on the exposure adjustments but really can't get much better than this. Cheers.

dazzab

I tried to make the adjustments in post, but am struggling to reduce the glare on many shots I took. The bright side does give it a magical cinematic look and feel, but on other shots, it's simply way too blown out. If you have any tips on how to correct this, please let me know. I worked on the exposure adjustments but really can't get much better than this. Cheers.
I think you have done the best that you can. The problem with over exposure is that there just isn't anything there to work with. I'm actually surprised that this happened as most cameras would under expose such scenes. A polariser filter would have really helped so give that a try if you find yourself filming over water again. A neutral density filter might of helped as well, I'm not sure I'd have to test that.

pgaucher

A neutral density filter might of helped as well, I'm not sure I'd have to test that.
I was using the ND filter but as you can see, it didn't have much impact. Having said this, I'm happy with the overall production value of the video. DJI has posted to its website so it must meet certain minimum standards. Cheers.

dazzab

I was using the ND filter but as you can see, it didn't have much impact. Having said this, I'm happy with the overall production value of the video. DJI has posted to its website so it must meet certain minimum standards. Cheers.
That's fantastic! It is a very nice video. Don't take my feedback as negative. I did enjoy it.

pgaucher

That's fantastic! It is a very nice video. Don't take my feedback as negative. I did enjoy it.
Yes, don't worry, I didn't take it negatively at all. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve so any feedback is more than welcomed. The exposure issue is really something I need to figure out because it really limits what I can do with the footage. Cheers.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Seem perfect for my eyes... well done. :)

Can't believe that Island is still there. :D hold on to your footage, might worth a lot later.

pgaucher

Seem perfect for my eyes... well done. :)

Can't believe that Island is still there. :D hold on to your footage, might worth a lot later.
No kidding. The whole Maldives are given less than 50 years before they go under water. It is truly a spectacular area. Thanks for your note and please share the video with others if you liked it. Cheers.