Make channel 5 mode switch sbus taranis naza V2

Greg

I guess it would,but thats how things go.My first bike was a honda trail 70.I wish I would of kept that aswell.I got into bodywork and engines in my 20's and would now be able to restore that trail 70 like new.If I ever come across one for a good price,even if beatup bad I will still buy just to restore.I also sold my 1980 mazda rx7 that I restored and souped up with racing beat exhaust system.That 5 speed ripped like hell.Back to the quad.I gave it a go this morning using gps after manually successfully calibrating(dance as they call it)I think 50% throttle is too much for mid stick.Once about 10' into the air it was hard to keep in one spot.I think over compensating with the sticks has a lot to do with that.How do people get the machine to stick in one spot(loiter)in the vids.I had to take her down in a controlled crash because I was heading towards my rock garden.This suckers got some power.not bragging,but this is possibly a negative at this stage with my experience level.I was thinking of making center stick 40/45% power.Whats your thoughts on that and perhaps a way to lower stick sensitivity or make lazier,if thats a good term.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Almost bought a 70 up here in Vermont. Too many projects already though. :)

Have you don't the calculations for how much thrust your motors will provide vs the overall weight of the MR? Is it dropping at 50% throttle, or rising? If you see people hovering perfectly in videos, chances are they are using ATTI or GPS mode. If they're doing it perfectly in manual - the MR has probably been designed perfectly for hover at 50% throttle. That's the sweet spot.

I've never been comfortable messing with the end points or offset of the throttle stick. I also don't add expo to vary the throttle response - because you never know when you'll need it. Like heading towards a rock garden for instance :)

Greg

I was using gps mode in the test this morn.Took off pretty near straight up.I was over compensating I think.Things were getting hairy but I kept my head.I dont exactly remeber where the throttle was but I think it was below 50%.You have seen my specs and with no gear this has plenty of power on tap.I am currently looking at a thread about lazieing up the sticks.Not sure if a good idea or even possible untill i investigate furhter.Definitly a better outcome today.If I were in a large field I would of been able to compensate it out and probaly fly untill battery buzz.I am going to do some more reading then go to the churches huge grassy parking lot and test there.Wont be able to go there untill all the ceremonies are finished around 11:00 or so.I will let you know how it goes later.Beautiful day here in ontario.Betcha its nice where you are too.

Greg

(copy/paste)This guy sums it up pretty good{best way i can describe the issue is like this: the quad feels like it's as light as a feather. Like there's GOBS of power. So much that I pretty much can't get it to hover because the throttle "activation" point is almost getting it up in the air. So adding a little more of throttle makes it climb too fast, and when I let off a bit, it starts to fall}mine does this in all stick movements aswell.I know I should of started with a smaller less powerfull build but its in my blood to go and over the the top(this has led to somewhat unwanted outcomes in the past).I figure why learn and spend money on a small cheap build when all my money can go into higher end components.I do understand the argument for starting cheap and small though.I will see what this fella did to tone down the beast and let you know later what I decided to do.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You could just strap something on there to balance the weight/power ratio a bit.

Good luck. Don't hit the church! :)

You can set a beep at 50% throttle in the Taranis. Not sure where that is in the menus (I do it on the computer). Helpful though.

Realize too that there is an "auto takeoff" in Naza that pops it up to about 3-10 feet if you hit 50% throttle right away. Might only be in ATTI/GPS mode??? So it would seem a little scary getting up in the air quick. But then it should hold there.

With ATTI mode 50% throttle should just allow you to hover, regardless of the weight/power ratio. The FC will compensate for it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Also, I have only seen your list of motors/props and battery. To really determine how off the power/weight ratio is - we'd need the specific AUW (total including battery) and the specific model of the sunnysky motors (are they the V series 5308?).

Greg

Thats what I was thinking.Or smaller props,weaker c rating battery.Adding weight would be the only on hand solution.This guy says expo and make midpoint throttle 40%.I dont really want to get into expo and what not if i can help it.Bottom line is that the sticks are either hyper sensitive (throw to quad movement ratio) or I just need to get used to it or perhaps both.They werent sensitive like this on the vector though.I didnt calibrate the sticks in the taranis untill yesterday either.The sticks calibration in the taranis along with leveling definetly made things proper though.The sticks center in the channel view and the naza software without adjusting trim buttons.I still dont like the idea of needing 50 or whatever percent,midpoint to take off.I would like gps mode to be the same as manual with full throttle control from the get go.I tend to like things to be simple,functional with me being able to dictate how something mechanical behaves.

These are my motors
http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/sunnysky-v3508-580kv-brushless-motor.html

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The C rating won't effect your power in the way you need. The motor will pull what it needs based on the props and stick input. Propping down could help.

Question I should have asked long ago: why did you switch from the vector if it worked so well for you???

Greg

Vector needs osd to be able to see the sticks menu.Sticks menu is needed to make fundemantal frame choice when initially setting up and a few other things.before I bought the vector I was under the impression that everything could be configured on the pc to be able to fly.I was wrong and needed to make a tx cable so i could connect to my hdtv to confirm frame style.I do intend on getting fpv/osd but not untill I learn to fly better.

(Question I should have asked long ago: why did you switch from the vector if it worked so well for you???)
My decions dont always seam very rational to me or others sometimes.Getting better with age though.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Gotcha. I just sold a vector for that exact reason. I liked the OSD for when I wanted it - but I didn't want to NEED it to do basic stuff. It also had issues displaying clearly on my FPV monitor - so getting the most basic stuff done was a nightmare.

Also, the manual was awful. Not sure why they couldn't just separate the different craft types into 3 different manuals. Searching through pages of airplane-only info was really frustrating.

Greg

FINALLY!!!.someone with the exact same view point that no one with a vector could understand.Fuuuuck.The manual and online vid series (green mat) was mainly geared towards fixed wing with a smattering of multirotor thrown in.Great to see you/someone else has the exact same viewpoint as I.The PDF was confusing as **** for me.I like the naza config software way better.

JPF450

I might be joining this thread a little late and am not sure if this has been covered, but I am running Taranis with an X4R rX and want to use all the 8 channels. I am running it in SBUS mode binding through a Naza V2. I have a gimbal fitted so have channel 5, 6 and 7 set up for the flight modes, home/cse lock, and gimbal. I want to use channel 8 for retracts and am not sure how and where to plug in the servo lead!
Please help!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think it may be difficult (if not impossible) on that receiver. As best I can tell, the conventional outputs (1-3)are redundant with sbus carrying full 16 channels (1-3 again).

So unless there is a way to split out the sbus signal to individual outputs, you may need to get an x8r so that you can bind it with access to 8 analog servo outputs.

JPF450

Thanks - that's good advice. I was beginning to think that's the only way of doing it. I think an X8R is probably the way ahead. Need to make sure it will bind with my Taranis as I've heard there have been some issues with European and non-European models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the binding issues. I have bound several X8R with my original Taranis. But I assume they are all non-European models since I bought them from USA suppliers. The X8R is a great receiver and offers some great features - especially at the price.