Aeronavics / Droidworx Maiden Flight

teecee

Got the basic assembly all done this afternoon and did the maiden flight. There were a few problems with the build and some modifications to do still but she was flight worthy and all went well. The long retractable gear had a manufacturing defect. I guess I was the first shipment of a slightly modified design and I am paying the price for that dubious honor. Aeronavics is in the process of sorting it out so that is good. Then there is the motor mounts issue - http://www.multirotorforums.com/thr...ts-dont-fit-kde-kde5215-xf-motors-help.22612/ - but that will be sorted out with different bolts. I had to 'trim down' the landing gear mount plate in order to fit the gear rail assembly which I thought was a little weird but apart from these little hiccups it all went well. I am a little upset about the gear but I modified what they sent so at least it all works well enough for now.

I found her a bit touchy to fly but I suspect the gains were all too high with no weight on board. I had all the basic gains at 180 and attitude gains at 150. She seemed to bob around a lot like my F550 did when the gains were too high. Here is the video. Sorry about the exposure. Login is 'skyjib'.

Working on a timelapse movie of the build too. Should have that done soon.

teecee

Looking good, sounds nice. What payload are you going with

Right now I am "flying naked". Well, I'm not naked but the SkyJib is... Sorry! I realize this is not the way it will be for long but for the first few flights I don't want to tax anything to much in case there is a stupid little problem. That and it is -15C here and it kind of sucks to fly. As soon as the weather smartens up I will strap some weight on there and see how she handles.

If you don't mind me asking - what are gains at? Also, I have been seeing some weirdness when I rotate all the way around a few times. See this thread. You have a coaxial SKyJib. Do you see any of this?

Rentakill

Attachments

• gains.png
    gains.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 343

teecee

oooohhhh that looks so nice. Just jumped on board this thread as we have the exact same build next week for a movi and dragon.

She is a beauty! What are you planning for landing gear with your build? The Aeronavics long retracts or?? Finding ours a little "tippy" with the long gear when we land. It will get better with weight below I suppose but I would hate to see her tip over and damage those expensive T-Motor 18" props...

That is a good question and something that has been on our mind. We have both the movi Mr and the long retracts from aeronautics. Haven't used the sky jib system for about 3 years now, so wanted to check it out before deciding. All the bits will be here next week so hopefully can test by the end of the week. It certainly looks like a lovely aircraft and so glad that they have got the transport factor down. No fun carrying an aircraft around that doesn't pack easily...

teecee

I am still having trouble with the settings on this thing. It is very "wobbly" in the air and I have to turn my gains way down in order to get any stability at all. Kind of frustrating. Does anyone else have a similar configuration that I could compare notes with? SkyJib X4XL with KDE 5215s, 75amp ESCs, A2 flight control etc. I feel like something is off but I don't know what it is. Kind of scared to fly her due to this. Help...!

I would go for the same comment as Rentakill.
- Checking the IMU first, positioning and measurements.
- Then take each prop and check that they are all balanced.

What are you currently setting your gains at? Basic and Attitude?
Basic - Pitch 130 / Roll 130 / Yaw 140
Attitude - 140 / 140 / 140
as a starting point...

Other than that hopefully our craft will be here soon and can work through it physically as well.

How are you getting on with the settings? Almost everything is here for us now so going to start building in the morning. Should be ready to test we'd afternoon. Will let you know how we get on and can see best settings for us and pass on.

teecee

How are you getting on with the settings? Almost everything is here for us now so going to start building in the morning. Should be ready to test we'd afternoon. Will let you know how we get on and can see best settings for us and pass on.

Things are going much better now. We turned the gains down to what was recommended above and lowered the motor idle speed in the A2 Assistant. The motors with the huge props are so powerful that even at idle it almost takes off which makes it very tippy on takeoff and landing. I strongly recommend turning motor idle speed to the lowest setting! We are flying with 10 pound weights and plan to fly with 15 pounds today if it stops snowing. The more weight the better she flies.

great, that is good news. All makes sense on the motor idle speed, they are certainly beasts.

My son asked me just now as he sees me writing. "If he says more weight is better, then can it carry me. Happy to help dad!"