Lytro Camera...Good for AP?

RyanArch

The new Lytro Camera seems like it could be a wonderful and light AP camera...simple design...seems pretty rugged...and comes with the ability to shoot images and focus them in post production which to me seems rather amazing. The design is blocky which looks like it would mount rather easily to most mounts I've seen. I'm unsure if it will shoot video, and it doesn't look as though it could be remotely fired or include a video out for FPV.

The Lytro Camera is a light field camera and "within the anodized aluminum frame, the consumer-friendly camera totes an f/2, 8x zoom lens which utilizes an 11-mega-ray light-field to power all that infinite focus magic. It's instant-on and the rubber back-end wields only two physical buttons: one for shutter and the other for power. The company's added the ability to change the focus on-camera, a task accomplished via its touchscreen glass display. It'll ship in two versions: the $399 8GB flavor can hold 350 pictures, and comes in graphite or blue, followed by a $499 16GB model, which sports an electric-red finish and stores up to 750 images."

Thought this was worth sharing...

Ryan

For more info and a hands-on:
http://www.lytro.com/
and http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/lytro-camera-hands-on-video/

jes1111

Very interesting - but the actual "resolution" doesn't seem to be outstanding, judging by the examples on their site.

ovdt

Interesting design but not suitable for AP/V.

* No remote shutter (need to use a servo to trigger)
* No component out for the video downlink

Go Pro HD seems to be much better choice when it comes to AP/V.

jes1111

Go Pro HD seems to be much better choice when it comes to AP/V.

I'm a registered GoPro hater :)

It may be small, light and relatively cheap but that's all you can say for it. In photographic terms, as a way to capture a scene in order to create a final image, it sucks big time! Massive (and complex) distortion, horrendous chromatic aberration, vignetting and purple fringing, very poor resolution and no "raw" option.

The criteria for an airborne camera should be the same as those for taking pictures on terra-firma: something that produces a "negative" of sufficient quality to meet your particular needs or those of your client. I can't see myself ever choosing a GoPro as my capture device of choice on the ground, so it doesn't even get considered for the air.

Just my opinion ;)

ovdt

Hey Jes,

I agree with you. I'm no serious Go Pro HD user and not happy with its results in photographic terms. But, for action video which light and video quality is not the first priority, it can put out remarkable quality.

When talking about cheap cameras, there aren't much alternatives especially a wide angle lens is needed. Entrance level cameras offer good picture quality but not yet a quality video.

My favourite cameras so far are Panasonic GH2, Canon 550D/600D and Sony NEX5 (and Nex5-n). Canon DSLR is perfect for stills but rolling shutter effect is quite a big problem. In the following months, I'M going to evaluate Sony NEX-VG20 which is practically a handycam but with APS-C sensor and changable lens.

161696.jpeg

The weight is around 600 grams without battery and lens. Putting a wide angle prime lens and battery will not add much to the weight. This for serious APV! :)