Lucky escape on first test flight

swisser

It's a shame that you didn't feel the temperature of each of the motors and ESCs immediately on landing - it would have been valuable information if one was different to the others. Have you bench tested it since this event? Find anything? Chances are you've got a bad ESC or bad motor or more likely still, bad wiring. But you're going to need to do some more testing to figure out which one and why.

Oh and next time do your first flight over some nice soft grass!!

fredor

What is the advantage of the raised leg how does it affect balance I would have thought it would be best to spread the load equally on all motors whereas the longer one would seem to have some advantage over the others

Hi Swisser, yes it would have been a good idea to check that but didn't think at the time. In fairness I contacted Alex at UAV Shop when we landed and he immediately agreed to send a replacement motor and ESC so great customer support there, haven't done any further testing with them as I have to send them back, just after the video ends the same motor that failed started twitching and even started to jerkily rotate even though the WKM was in disable mode so definately a dodgy ESC I think.

Fredor, I have the long legs because its intended to carry a Zenmuse, however Vulcan claim that they also soak up some of the impact from a heavy landing which they certainly did, back leg bent a little but straightened out with finger pressure, have to say I'm very pleased with the quality of the airframe.

Oh OK,
thats at the front and its designed to keep the arm out of the camera field of view even in fast forward flight, claims to give better control in wind as well but I can't comment on that.