looking to Build an F550 - A couple of basic questions...

adanac

I've ordered an F550 from AMP (easy to order online, nearly impossible to get a principle to talk to or respond to e-mail :(). A couple of questions:

1) Does it come with the wires? The Manual implies that it does not.
2) I'm going to add FPV gear after the build or maybe during if it all gets here in time - IRC 600mW vtx, mini iOSD. The GoPro will be the FPV camera. Is there anything I should do during the build process that will make adding that gear easier?
3) If I want to run two lipos on this F550, is there anything I should do during the build process to accommodate that?
4) What is the name of that wire mesh that folks use? Similar function to heat shrink tubing.
5) What kind of solder does one use?

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
1) Does it come with the wires? The Manual implies that it does not. Wires to the battery - no
2) I'm going to add FPV gear after the build or maybe during if it all gets here in time - IRC 600mW vtx, mini iOSD. The GoPro will be the FPV camera. Is there anything I should do during the build process that will make adding that gear easier? Maybe leave a positive and negative lead to run power to your FPV equipment later. You need power for your TX, and gimbal if you use one.
3) If I want to run two lipos on this F550, is there anything I should do during the build process to accommodate that? I didn't.
4) What is the name of that wire mesh that folks use? Similar function to heat shrink tubing. I recommend that you don't do this, as you always need to move something, remove, etc. I cut the wires to length, put the sheathing on, and it just made things worse when I wanted to do a change. Turned into a nightmare.
5) What kind of solder does one use? 60/40

Last edited by a moderator:

adanac

Right on.

1) What is that wire called? I'll order some.
2) I solder separate leads from the main contacts on the lower board and then cap them until I use them? I will definitely use the Zenmuse GoPro.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
1. Wire sleeving or braid
2. You need power for the H3-2d and the video tx. Not sure about OSD. However you can prevent them from shorting up to you

ppmd

1) Does it come with the wires? The Manual implies that it does not. I think my kit came with two power wires (red and black). They are easy to come by from many sources.
2) I'm going to add FPV gear after the build or maybe during if it all gets here in time - IRC 600mW vtx, mini iOSD. The GoPro will be the FPV camera. Is there anything I should do during the build process that will make adding that gear easier? Just make space for the small / separate FPV camera (I would not use GoPro unless you plan to record on the GoPro, without gimbal, of course) and arrange on the bottom board to make sure you have room to accommodate all those devices. You may be able to get power for your devices from two spare front ports on the Naza, spare port on your receiver, or tap from one of the 7 spots on your F550 bottom board. It will depend on how much power you will be drawing for your devices.
3) If I want to run two lipos on this F550, is there anything I should do during the build process to accommodate that? You don't need to do anything differently other than making sure you leave space for the velcro on top of your F550. You will need a parallel connector (you can make yourself if you wish) to run the two batteries. I fashioned one out of 3 Deans connectors by dripping a lot of solder among them and used shrink wrap to hold all 3 Deans together to make it neat and light. Adding a 2nd LiPo does NOT double your flight time, but will incrementally slightly increase flight time (due to added weight of 2nd LiPo).
4) What is the name of that wire mesh that folks use? Similar function to heat shrink tubing. http://www.amazon.com/Techflex-PTN0-25BK25-General-Purpose-Braided/dp/B004UHJCFI/ref=pd_sim_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HD4KN8AE8DQG5HVN2EA I use it on wires that cross sharp edges of the F550 board and on the power wires. Use shrink wrap to secure the ends.
5) What kind of solder does one use? I had some very old solder with the labels rubbed off. It contained resin so I did not need to use flux. I think Radio Shack should have everything you need (if you are in the U.S.)[/QUOTE]

For an answer to your question # 4 -

Check here - http://www.bwire.com - these guys will actually send you 4 x 4 samples of stainless steel wire cloth so that you can take a look at the material before you go spending big money on an item that you cannot use.

I believe a lot of guys have been using the woven wire cloth material shown on that site.

Mojave

I've ordered an F550 from AMP (easy to order online, nearly impossible to get a principle to talk to or respond to e-mail :(). A couple of questions:

Did anyone suggest our group build thread? http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter! Many of your questions are answered there. Also the AMP site has some build videos for the 550. I copied the instructions there pretty much for my build. I bought the 550 kit from AMP.

Avenger

My kit came with the power wires.

make sure you buy some heat shrink to protect your connections and soldering.

the screws come with thread lock already on them so no need to add extra

read the manuals and don't let impatience get the better of you or you will make mistakes!

dont fix the top plate until you're absolutely sure you've got all your connections in the right places
eg. Motor 1 to M1, Motor 2 to M2 etc on the naza FC

Take Your Time ! ! !