Looking for my first multirotor, I need help!

BryanB Photo

Hi everyone!

I ordered a Husban x4 about a 2 months ago and have learned how (small)quads handle and am getting very comfotable flying it in close quarters indoors and outside I can really rip with it. My goal with the Husban was to learn how to control and then upgrade when I feel I can. I also have been flying with RealFlight simulator and feel comfortable with the quads there.

Now that I know a little more I'm looking into getting a multirotor that will assist me in aerial photography.

There are so many options and so many different comments on everything and I'm looking to clear some things up!

Right now I'm looking at the AreoSky C17 Hexrotor and a gimbal (nothing specific) to go along with this hex.

Starting out I'd like to fly my GoPro and my Micro 3/4rds systems. Then move up to flying my D5100 & D800 for the good stuff. ;)

My goal here is to buy something that I can grow into and upgrade as I need.
I was looking at smaller cheaper quads that will only fly GoPro's. My thought process is to not buy a small quad and then buy a hex 2 months later, is that a logical though process?

My questions are:
1. The AreoSky C17 is extremely hard to get ANY information about, from a total newbie perspective how hard with it be to fly and set up?
They are currently all out of stock so that should bring some review to the web. (fingers crossed)
The C17 specs call out it will lift about 5.5 lbs, are there others I'm missing in the same price range that are better?

2. I'm looking at a few gimbal options and something that fits the NEX5(~250 Grams) or similar sized bodies to start, how are gimbals rated? would a D5100(500+ grams) overload the gimbal? Recommendations?

3. Is there one gimbal I can buy that will grow with my comfort of flying? I'd love any recommendations.

What else am I missing?

Sorry for ALL the questions, but I'd love to hear some input and get some recommendations!

Thanks in advance!