looking for APV camera

vip

MY Platform.. Droidwork HLE8, WKM avarto motors dji esc's, MKtR gimbal with upgrades.
Aircraft Hex , dji esc's, naza, sunnysky motors..foxtech 2 axis camera gimbal.

I do video professionally only with BIG cameras. I really do not have experience wiht these smaller ones
so I am looking for the VOICE of Experience from you guys,, you guys seem to have it together.:02.47-tranquillity:

wow how does one know.. I look closely at the nex5 but read so much about image being soft video, image stabilization does not work and
folks think they are taking photos and the camera has switched modes by itself.. But it seems many use it. Is it because there is an aftermarket remote for it ( at least I think there is)

I am also looking at the Sony HX30v ( coming out) I like what "they" say of being able to shoot HD video then take a 16 meg still from that and it seems the HX series has pretty good image stabilization.. The video looks pretty good of the HX series, I think the NEX5 is closer to a professional look but I am looking the best aerial camera. I have ground camera already.

I have a go pro hero 2 with the 4mm lens and a modified case so I can put screw in filters on it but not really happy with the quality.
My purpose, Video of car lots for TV Local commercials, real estate stills , golf course video, small film work.
Clarity of image, weight and Shooting 1080p is important to me..
I look forward to the opinions for this board..

thank you , Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVID G

Hi there,
Video is a tricky one and to be honest the best results I have had so far have been with the go pro hd2 but the stills are not good quality at all.
Recently purchased a canon s100 which for its size has amazing picture quality,
I always shoot in raw on manual and have been very impressed with the results.
It can shoot full 1080p video as well but I have not been able to stabilise the image enough, not the cameras fault just the quadcopter.
So many permutations available and one will work I am sure but I would definitely recommend this camera, do not be put off by its size it has many more features than much more expensive SLR,s
Regards

vip

canon s100, does it have live output for FPV?

thanks for the input.. I have a hero2 but not all that happy with it , but then again I am used to $40,000
broadcast cameras..

I need to get enough quality that I can cut the two videos from two different cameras together but do not want to go with a big canon 5 or 7D

Kilby

I think the s100 does have live feed out. I use an s90 for photos, and I love it. The Canon cameras can also be hacked to do extra thing by using chdk. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK I put an intervelometer script on mine so I don't have to worry about triggering the shot, I just get it into position and hold it there for a while till I see a few snapped off.

DAVID G

Not sure about the fpv but I just run a separate fpv sony tiny but 600lines quality so more than good enough to hook up to 2 monitors.
Likewise I use a canon 1Dm3 & canon 5Dm2 but they are to heavy for my quad, the processor in the S100 is amazing.
If weight is not that much of an issue then also have a look at the cannon G1X
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_s100
Cheers

vip

thanks , I looked at the specs of these camera and none have 1080 60p which is what I typically shoot in for my video.
the more I read about the NEX5 the more it seems I need to stay away from it , in reviews it has serious softness issues..

vip

As far as the camera ( 5D) nothing is wrong with it technically. Price...Yikes $2,895.99 weight ( 907g with out lens)
also it would be to heavy for my hex i need to go both ways..

I am looking close at the Sony Hx20v 1080p, weight, ( 254 g) price ( $400) , and can take a photo while recording video.
what I do not like is no Polarize filter possible as far as I can tell.

Technology is great most of the time, look at this comparison... between a Canon 5D and a dang IPHONE.

http://www.cnet.com.au/1080p-shootout-iphone-4s-vs-canon-5d-mark-ii-339324830.htm

and here I am sitting on a $40,000 broadcast HD camera. Sure make putting big investments into camera scary... the technology changes sooo fast.

Last edited by a moderator: