Looking for advice on choosing a hexacopter

ygate

Hi

I am looking for a multicopter for university research purposes. I would like the multicopter to be able to lift 2kg for around 15 or more mins and automatically navigate and hover around selected areas. We are gathering footage on wildlife and would like to have an automated system that can takeoff and do its thing. I would like to have a small processing computer attached to the multicopter for automation purposes.

The budget is around 2500$ and is flexible.

First of all, should I build my own or buy a RTF? I haven't built anything like this before but I am sure I can get help in the university (though not much).
Any suggestions on an RTF that can do the above is welcome.

As for building it my self, I read a bit about this and this is what I know (please correct me if I am wrong since I am new to this). I have the pixhawk in mind for a flight controller since it has the auto navigation features and can be programmed. As for the frame, I read a lot of good things about tarot T960 from their nice carbon fiber frames to the compatibility and ease of construction.

Once I decide to build it my self or buy it RTF then I can look more into the motors, propellers etc

I appreciate any help or advice