list of businesses helping with 333??

pepper

hello guys,
is there a list of people/businesses out there that will help a small guy file section 333? I talked to one company but when he told me how much they charge to help, I actually dropped my phone. me and my wife are a small business and don't have the funding these larger companies have. any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

glyn

Old Man

No list but I can connect you to a writer that can ;design/write your documentation to specifically fit the federally preferred formatting. We've been discussing handling this stuff for some time and he is uniquely qualified for the task. I guarantee you'll have some of the best paperwork the FAA has ever seen from a multirotor outfit. I can help with the waiver FAR line items but would have to sign a non-compete/non-disclosure with you since both the writer and myself would have to know the directions you want your company to go and the equipment you would use. We can talk more off line if you send a PM and shift to e-mail or voice from there.

Ronan

I'm interested... after the 2 quotes i received i thought i was asking people to handle a large divorce or multi-settlement case... like seriously...

scotth

I spent over 200 hours researching and writing my ops manual for my exemption petition. And that's after having been in aviation for a very long time. The FAA wants things a certain way, or at least they used to (until I read the grant to the AZ realtor). Whatever you get charged it's probably worth it. I'm guessing the original 7 aerial film companies forked over a very large sum in legal fees to pave the way for the rest of us, and there were certainly some small businesses in that group.

Old Man

I don't have any idea how the Phantom Realtors have managed to get approved. The first one had to have been written by a 4th grader. The original 6 firms were the foundation for the current format. They didn't file because that was the approved way. What they did and the way they did it established the methodology for how it's now done. What they had to do after that to get approved is another story. That's all on the FAA and the public comment groups that were also involved.

SamaraMedia

Old Man, is there somewhere that we can look up the written approvals? If the Phantom realtor approval looks like a 4th grader there must me some record we can look at to compare and figure out what might best suit our individual needs.

scotth

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/

Dig in... all you will see is the petition itself, and the decision (go to the docket). The petitions also include the flight operations manual(s), which are typically confidential and not available to the public. That is where the meat of it lies. You can kind of work backwards though, and expect to need to write a policy and procedure that addresses each of the requirements in the decision, at least. For example, if you are operating on a 'closed set' you should probably have a section on how you are defining and securing the closed set (security, PA's, etc.), the method of communication between everyone, the procedure for terminating the flight if a non-participating person enters the secure area... oh and a definition of a participating person and a procedure for pre-flight briefing of participating persons, etc. It goes on forever. You could also seek the FAA's motion picture and television operations manual requirements, as a partial guideline.

It's possible to do, by cobbling available resources together, but not quick or easy.

Old Man

Old Man, is there somewhere that we can look up the written approvals? If the Phantom realtor approval looks like a 4th grader there must me some record we can look at to compare and figure out what might best suit our individual needs.

Of course there's all the law firms that will charge their usual rates for this stuff. That can be quite expensive, running up to $7000.00 or more. I've been setting up such a service and I have heard of a couple of others. I don't know of any other outfit that actually understand multirotor operations performing such a service. At the moment we're working on re-writing some FC ops manuals for improved clarity and comprehension. The Chinglish versions just don't cut it IMO.

The advice in the previous post is a reasonable way of going about it but be advised each operation has differences from other applicants that can cause serious issues with waiver approval, or later enforcement actions, if the copied material and your operation do not match up during an observed flight operation. The equipment used must also be well documented. Then you have the flight training, equipment inspection, maintenance, and logging practices you will need to present in the application. The information you fail to provide can quickly cause the rejection of your request for a waiver.

One can do it themselves but for many having someone that understands the system, knows how to write in a manner that fits the system, Has extensive experience in writing sUAS/UAV tech manuals and service procedures, is familiar with the FAR's and what you want to do can make the process less painful. For someone that wants to go it alone some links that might be helpful are shown below.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=25;so=DESC;sb=postedDate;po=0;s=%22section%2B333%22%2BFAA;fp=true;dct=FR%2BPR%2BN%2BO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

scotth

True.. the Realtor exemption looks nothing like the original 6. Not sure what it looks like actually. It seems like the FAA just wanted to get one off their plate.

"One can do it themselves but for many having someone that understands the system, knows how to write in a manner that fits the system, and is familiar with what you want to do and the FAR's can make the process less painful."

Yes. If you're serious about this as a business, and you don't know what you're doing, pay someone that does. It's a start up cost. Or, if you're doing it on the side.. half hobbyist.. not a lot to lose if you face an enforcement action.. then fly along under the radar and don't do anything stupid.. or you will become familiar with this new change in the enforcement handbook: http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/2150.3b_chg_6_.pdf

:)