Lipo Use in Cold Weather

Akermay

Hi

This morning we experienced our first real encounter with lipos in the cold weather. We've done a little reading on it, but any further explanation would be great!

Having gone out in the cold, the lipos we also too cold, reducing flight time, taking us by surprise no less!

What do you do to counter either the extreme cold (or hot) weather when flying? Thanks.

jbrumberg

Keep the lipo's as warm as possible before use, and to use some form of insulation while in use. I have seen some interesting "koozie" type arrangements at RCG and a lot of tips about cold weather flying as well.. Just a reminder: One has to be careful about condensation on electronics after flying outdoors and coming back inside. It's the glasses fogging up thing.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Akermay,

A lot of folks simply place their LiPo's under their jacket....near the body...so that the body can keep the batts as warm as possible. Many of the folks I have seen in the way early days that I was flying helis did a similar thing. Try that and see if it works for you.

For EXTREME flying....that is WAY over my experience level......Perhaps a "hand warmer" could be used in those instances...hell I use them at the Football games I go to here and while they are not HOT...they REALLY make life better!

Jay is right....watch out for condensation if you are using them in a IN/OUTside environ.......that could be SCARY!!!!

Mike :)