LiPo charging

SamaraMedia

Recently purchased a couple GensAce 5300mAh 4s batteries but when I went to charge them on my Triton EQ max's out at 5000. Can I safely charge them using this charger or do I need to purchase one with a high mAh rating?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
most batteries shouldnt be charged at more than 5c. I actually drop my charge rate down to 4amps just to be safe. I know they can take it but if I am not in a hurry why max it out. But yes, you are fine, you dont need to match the charge to the MAh of the battery.

SamaraMedia

Thanks IrisAerial, much appreciated.

On a separate matter I'm looking to run two of these batteries in parallel to get longer flight times on a DJI F550 hexa I'm building. As it stands the power lead from the FlameWheel is 14 gauge and leads on the batteries are 12 gauge. Should I replace the power lead from the hexa to match the battery leads or is the current draw insignificant enough not to matter? I already have a parallel harness for a couple of 3s batteries I've been using but that is also 14 gauge, is that usable?

View attachment 5829

Attachments

• Hexa.jpg
    Hexa.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 327

kloner

Aerial DP
if you go into your "settings" menu in the charger your gonna find something called "voltage cutoff", change that to a higher number or just dissable it. all 5 or 6 chargers i've been through the last 5 years have had it. they also have a "time cutoff" set in there usually to 1 hour, dissable that too

You won't need more than 12 gauge going in unless it's unusually long

kloner

Aerial DP
that should have said doesn't need thicker than 14 gauge...... it's early, makin coffee still

the current draw IS insignificant enough not to matter. Your looking at pieces of wire 6" long and a max current around 50-60 amps if you flew it like you stole it, hovering is 20 to 30ish amps. nothing needs changing, in fact i prefer thinner wire on the craft so it flexes easier to plug it in and stresses the solder pads on the bottom plate less

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
jwoike,

i'm not familiar with your charger but there are a number of options that most chargers share. most will have a timer cut off, a cell voltage cut off and a total mah cutoff. If you're charging one 5300 mah pack then the mah cutoff could be set to 5000 or 5300 and it would keep your pack from being overcharged. you could also set the per cell voltage cut off at 4.2 and that would help prevent bad packs from having any one cell overcharged which is a fire risk. if you wanted to calculate the charge rates, the likely drained condition of the packs, the mah to be added, etc. you could figure a good charge time limit to set as well. this could also be set after you've seen what your typical useage produces in the way of charge times.

if you are charging multiple packs together in parallel, the mah cut off needs to reflect the multiple of packs you're charging (e.g 5000 for one pack, 10,000 for two packs, etc.)

the charging stuff can be really confusing but once you get a handle on it it's like everything else and becomes routine. just don't charge batteries on a combustible surface like a hardwood floor, fires are not as common as they used to be but they still happen. if you're going to experience a fire it will probably happen when you're learning how to use your charger or when charging a battery that has been damaged. fast charging without simultaneous balancing is also dangerous.

good luck with it.
bart

Lipo charging batteries is a technologically evolved from lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are excellent for use in an application such as remote control aircraft to give high energy to weight ratio. However the chemistry of lithium cells there is a possibility of fire charging is not properly. It is unavoidable due to the nature of lithium itself.