Large Lipo Battery Chargers for 6 Cell

Matto822

Hi Guys,

Currently I use the Hitec X4 to charge up my lipos which are not larger than 5000 MAH and I can do 4 at a time in about an hour at 5-6 amps. Im looking at getting some larger batteries around the 14,000 and 16,000 mah range because I am tired of running two batteries all the time. Is there any good chargers that will charge these up in a good amount of time that will do at least 2 batteries at once? Also would the X4 be able to charge the 16,000 mah battery up if I set it to 6 cell at 6 amps? What would the time be on that? Thanks in advance.

Electro 2

There are countless units that will hit this target. Just don't forget to look for at least 300 Watt capacity per port, with two ports active. My existing four port only does a hundred per port, and I can't hit 6S packs at over 4.4 amps due to this limitation. No one-hour charges for me on those. :-( I'll get a biggie soon.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The best 2 chargers out there currently are the Celpro Powerlab 8 and the iCharger 4010duo. My vote goes to the duo having used both due to its twin ports and ease of use.

Quinton

The best 2 chargers out there currently are the Celpro Powerlab 8 and the iCharger 4010duo. My vote goes to the duo having used both due to its twin ports and ease of use.

Well there is a new one out, which is prob better than the 4010 and it is smaller .
The new icharger 308 duo if I was buying again now that is what I would get.

Don't forget you may also have to invest in a new power supply too.
You want something of "at least" 1200-1500 watts to run it sufficiently.
Not cheap but will be better in the long run.

And maybe look at upgrading your cables coming from the power supply, as these will be running a lot hotter too.

You should be able to charge a couple of lipos any size at 1C in about 35-45 mins at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Well there is a new one out, which is prob better than the 4010 and it is smaller

Hadn't seen this one but looking at the specs, not sure why you think it's better. At 40A per channel the 4010 can charge a pair of 10Ah batteries at 2C which I find myself doing every now and then. To put it differently 1400w per channel on the 4010 v 800w per channel on the 308 duo. The 4010 has a better discharge rate to conduct storage charges more rapidly. If size and weight are important then I can see the 308 duo being a better option as it wont require such hefty PSUs but so far I can't fault my 4010 duos (coupled up to a HP ESP 120 PSU each gives awesome power!).

Quinton

Hadn't seen this one but looking at the specs, not sure why you think it's better. At 40A per channel the 4010 can charge a pair of 10Ah batteries at 2C which I find myself doing every now and then. To put it differently 1400w per channel on the 4010 v 800w per channel on the 308 duo. The 4010 has a better discharge rate to conduct storage charges more rapidly. If size and weight are important then I can see the 308 duo being a better option as it wont require such hefty PSUs but so far I can't fault my 4010 duos (coupled up to a HP ESP 120 PSU each gives awesome power!).

Yeah better was the wrong word.
More suitable for me, unless your wanting to go to 10S.
The 308 would be capable of charging 2 x10A lipos at 2C too could it not?

A nice little charger to consider too is the SKYRC Duo 800w/20A at half the price, but does not have Internal Resistance info.

I would be too scared to go the HP ESP 120 PSU route :) but it would be a LOT cheaper than paying about £240 for a 1500W power supply.
When I charge 2 X10.4A lipos @ 1C it pulls about 37A at 14.5V so does give you an idea of what power supply is required. (Thats close to the limits of a 600W power supply).

rotorvista

I'm using a powerlab 8 with an efuel 1200W 60amp psu works great and loving all the info when connected to the computer, I would've got an icharger duo 4010 but there was no where in the uk with them at the time. For the price it's been a good investment. I have 8x 6s batteries and a Honda EU26i inverter generator so i'm pretty good for power :)

Quinton

I have 8x 6s batteries and a Honda EU26i inverter generator so i'm pretty good for power :)

I was thinking of getting a Honda EU20i Generator for the motorhome, one with an LPG conversion as it is only 21KGs.
I heard the Honda ones are probably the best around.

rotorvista

i was looking at the EU20i but got a good deal on a EU26i and its got a bit more power although heavier but I have it in the van and thats where it stays, its great for camping or for whatever and very quiet and I'm not limited to battery life, I can operate anywhere for unlimited time (dependant on petrol supply of course) and can run my laptop and can even edit on site :)

Carapau

Yeah better was the wrong word.
More suitable for me, unless your wanting to go to 10S.
The 308 would be capable of charging 2 x10A lipos at 2C too could it not?

Understood entirely. The 308 would indeed do 2x10AH batteries at 2c but that would use both ports. For me I have 2x 4010 duos as I like to have 4x charging ports. 1 for the set of batteries as they come off the aircraft, 1 for the set that is mid charge, 1 for the batteries just about to finish charging and the 4th for things like gimbal batteries. With the 4010s this means that I can charge each pair at 2c and ensure non stop flying all day long if needed. Admittedly I havent flown non stop all day but there have certainly been times when 8 flights or so have needed to be done back to back and this is when the 4010s come into their own.

As for the Honda, I have the eu20i and it is an excellent bit of kit but just be aware that once you take into account for losses from PSUs etc it will comfortably charge 4x 6s 10AH batteries at 1c but nothing more without over-straining the beast.

Quinton

As for the Honda, I have the eu20i and it is an excellent bit of kit but just be aware that once you take into account for losses from PSUs etc it will comfortably charge 4x 6s 10AH batteries at 1c but nothing more without over-straining the beast.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here..
Cool Good to know.
I was looking at it mostly to power a couple of event printers, so I could print photos anywhere I was so that one, seems like a very good option.
I have a DS40 and DS80 printer, that can spit out a 8x12 photo in 35 secs.

Electro 2

what size are your 6s and how long does it take at 4.4?

I think this was aimed at me, no quote so I don't know. But, two sizes in play at the moment, 5Ah and 8Ah, and obviously the fives take slightly over an hour and the eights take slightly less than 2 hours. I'd like to be able to hit 10A per port with two ports active. That's 240W per port for a total of 480W. Once my budget recovers, I'll get a 500W+ biggie and a 60A 13.8V supply to run it of some stripe.

CdA D

I have a Thunder Power 820CD and a Efuel 60A 1200W 15-24V power supply. That should do it. Something to look at.