Landing gear?

repodog

I have a Naza 450. I have used after market carbon leg extensions. They worked very nice and are pretty. But due to some operator error crashes, the legs extensions worked as leverage to break my frame arms...three in a row. I have returned to my famorite landing gear, pool noodles. They cost $3 each, enough for many leg extensions, they take a beating, absorb impact and can be replaced easily. Also, since I like flying over water, I trust they will help the quad float in a water landing. I also use different colors for orientation purposes. I just use rubber bands and popsickles sticks to attach them, threading the rubber band through the frame arms, down through the pool noodle and attach to a cross of cut to size popsickle sticks. They may not be the best for wind as more surface area to be caught by the wind. I don't have pics handy of mine, but you will see others on this cite or rc groups.

Dreamweaver

TPpacks gets my vote.

photobucket-1753-1343788024545.jpg

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Simple and cheap to make or replace, 5mm carbon fiber rod with tie wraps holding them to the end of the arm. A couple layers of heatshrink tubing on the bottom gives them a larger footprint so they don't sink into the ground, I'd estimate less than $10 for enough C/F rod and heatshrink to make a full set plus a couple spares.

DSC00065a.jpg

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Not homemade but ........

At the price of the one i bought from quadframe.com (38 euros) I couldn't see the point in making any, and they work great. At the time they didnt have a specific fitting kit for my 550 so I had a bit of messing to do, but overall I am extremely happy with them.

View attachment 5703

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 610

sixback

Anyone using homemade landing gear? Any pics or discription of what you are using?

I have a dji 450. The ears of my pdb are perpendicular to forward filght.
I built a crash worthy, self floating set of landing gear out of:

Parts List
1 Trex 600 aluminum tail tube
2 X 3ft long floating pool noodles (red and green for orientation)
2 X 2.5 inch lengths of VEX Robotics aluminum C-channel
5 inches of 3M double sided (gyro tape)
4 cable ties

Assembly
• I took a Trex600 aluminum tail tube and cut it in half.
• I then cut 1 X 6" long red floating pool noodle section and 1 X 6" long green floating pool noodle section
• I then inserted the two noodle parts over one of the two aluminum half tubes to make one "2 coloured" skid ( 3 inches in diameter and 12 inches long ).
• I repeated the process for the other 'skid'
• Used the two sided tape to secure each C-Channel to the underside of the PDB ears forming my landing skid struts
• Used two cable ties wrapped around each skid to secure to the VEX C-Channel which is pre-drilled for vex assemblies

Results
This gets my quad three and a half inches off the ground.
The skids can absorb any hard landing ( worse case the gyro tape lets go but it would take one hell of an impact )
Bonus - they won't let my quad sink in unintentional water landings
Flight characteristics aren't really affected the way I fly.
I can see my orientation a mile away
It kind of looks cool

Total extra weight is 80 g

Bella7821

Thinking of getting 2 batwings for the PoPro and battery.
I still want to keep the F450 as close as possible to the ground and the smaller the legs the better. Can you make shorter legs just to have the waterproof case clear the ground by 1/4" or so ?

Also, I have my GoPro mounted directly to the distribution board on a piece of sorbothane and a velcro strap holding the GoPro on. I get pretty much zero vibrations and no jello.
Does having the batwing ziptied to the 2 arms make a pretty rigid joint and should still give vibration free video from my F450?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You can just cut down the legs yourself. It would certainly be a lot cheaper than having me run a custom program. Yes, the zip ties hold the batwing very rigidly.