Kilby's F650

Kilby

Hey Gang,

I wanted to share my most recent build. I've been planning this one for a little while now. I was looking to step up in size a little bit, and also wanted to go from a quad to a hexa. At the end of the day, I ended up creating a modified F550 WK-M craft. I'm also using the Aeroxcraft F550 landing gear.

I designed my own custom motor mounts that extend the motor to motor size up to 650, so I'm calling it an F650. The mounts are made from 3mm 100% carbon fiber. They are amazingly strong and very light weight. It allows me to swing 11inch props with plenty of room to spare. I could go up to 12's with ease, but I'm plenty happy with the 11's for now.

I've got it flying pretty well now, so this week I'll add all the video/FPV gear. Stay tuned. :frog:

-Terry

7234573294_657b865dde_c.jpg

7234580500_dc02f2da1d_c.jpg

7234586922_bb31af1297_c.jpg

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Although black pipe insulation looks nice, isnt the purpose to have different colors to help with orientation? Looks good though.

Kilby

Maybe for some, but I use it for two different reasons. 1, to protect the landing gear and 2, to add just a little more height to the camera mount. My camera was a little closer to the ground than I wanted. ;-)

Also, 90% of my flights are FPV, so no big orientation problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome, Glad you liked my conversion idea :nevreness:

11's definently seem to be the right prop choice. We sent out a few of our conversion kits for testing and feedback, and we all ended up liking the 11" props best.

Kilby

You are far from the first person to think of that idea, just the first person to think of over charging for it. ;-)

DennyR

Looks like you did a great job Terry. Just as an idea you could try adding a little dihedral and motor offsets (Yaw) to see if it improves stability. Like the S800. I am thinking about making some plates from alum. so I can bend um.:tennis:

Dewster

That is a nice build! I like the all black arms too. I had all black on my last Hexa. I put red LEDs on the front so I could tell which way was forward. It is hard at height with any color.

Dewster

Looks like you did a great job Terry. Just as an idea you could try adding a little dihedral and motor offsets (Yaw) to see if it improves stability. Like the S800. I am thinking about making some plates from alum. so I can bend um.:tennis:

My Xaircraft DIY Carbon fiber Hexa's arms flexed a little under weight. Do you think that flexable arms (limited in amout of flex at the base) would add to stability or is this a crazy idea/question? On descent I'm sure the arms of my craft flexed a little bit causing a dihedral offset. The DJI F550 arms are rock solid because of the metal base plates.

Dewster

I like how you mounted the ESCs! It looks like a clean build. I was thinking of tucking them inside the frame and mounting/protecting the flight controller on top. I want to mount the battery on the landing skids to balance the camera. Now you have me thinking....