JR VS Futaba

So, here I am. Long time JR user and been reading over and over that Futaba is the better choice for MultiRotor. My question is why? The Naza has the same channels as a JR RX. Can you enlighten me?

W

Edit: Looking at the FrSky Tarnis. Wow. Gorgeous while being feature laden. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Binding is instantaneous.
All Rx'ers are full diversity Rx'ers.
The antenna's are far easier to place.
If you lose the Tx-Rx link it will re-establish faster.
Two Rx'ers can be used easily with one Tx'er if more channels are needed, lets you easily do 14 channels.
FrSky Rx'ers are cheap and are the full monty.
FrSky Rx'ers do PPM in a tiny package.
S-Bus.[

Actually, that depends upon which JR system you're considering. If you're talking about the JR/Spektrum DSM and DSM2 kit from the past, then what Pete says is really quite true. HOWEVER, JR has recently introduced their newer DMSS format system which has fixed nearly all of those concerns.

I have flown a JR XG-11 DMSS system from the time DMSS was introduced up until just recently when I finally made the switch to UHF. In fact, I still have a DMSS hex that I've no plans for converting. The DMSS receivers are all diversity, they bind in miliseconds, they handshake on power-up equally as fast, they also reacquire just as quickly. You can get DMSS radios from 6 channels to 14...whatever you want (and your wallet can afford).

Not to mention, I have routinely flown them 2km and further away without control dropouts.

The downside is that the receivers in the past have been a little pricey (11 chan rcvr ran about $125) However, I have seen clone DMSS rcvrs on HobbyKing lately much lower. So I suspect that JR may be drastically reducing their pricing very soon.

Futaba kit is just as good, don't get me wrong. But don't let your impressions of the older JR stuff cloud your thinking on the new stuff. JR has come a long way.

Right now....I'd say go look at the radios and receivers and choose the one that suits YOU better. Either way....I think you'll be happy. Especially as you are already a JR kind of guy.

....sT

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
PPM and S-Bus, ability to stack receivers and $20-30 FrSky receivers are enough to make them the better choice in this case unless you are only ever going to have one MR, and that is never going to happen.

Pete

PPM available in both JR as well as Futaba (I'm using it myself with my XG11 and TSLRS UHF)

S-Bus - Futaba
X-Bus - JR
Not a terrible lot of difference, except that X-Bus will address as many as four servos per channel. With a 14 channel radio that means you can address 56 servos...although why on earth you'd want to is beyond me.
Pretty much sounds like a draw to me.

FrSky receivers ARE indeed much cheaper, however.

.....sT

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Many devices will decode S-Bus but have no idea what to do with X-Bus, not quite the same, many MR controllers support S-Bus connection as do many heli controllers, some will use Spektrum remote receivers but not work with JR anything.

All of which matters only if you're sitting at home saying to yourself "I just gotta use SBus for something today".

Again…… All the rhetoric aside, pick the one that suits YOU the best. That's what will make you the happiest.

.....sT

Hi guys, well I went JR again. Use what ya know right? 9503 on its way. Maybe in the future I'll go taranis, but this will work for my applications I think.
Thanks for the replies.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
All of which matters only if you're sitting at home saying to yourself "I just gotta use SBus for something today".

Again…… All the rhetoric aside, pick the one that suits YOU the best. That's what will make you the happiest.

.....sT

LOL! OP asked for differences, I have had a lot of radios in the forty years I have been flying and had never used PPM or S-Bus til fairly recently and it really the go to thing for MR's.

Cheers

Pete