Joystick controllers

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I have an issue... I work with a couple of different camera operators. One is an old-school type who prefers to use control wheels, so he uses a very nice set of Veracity wheels for his work. The other is different, he just prefers a joystick.

However, as most of you know, RC transmitter sticks aren't exactly ideal for gimbal control unless you're EXTREMELY smooth.

I'm also interested in one for my own work (two person rigs with a single operator).

The only option I've really seen is the Hurricane joystick, by the same guys who make the Hurricane Wheels. It's very nice and I've discussed it with them, but it's also around $1,500.

I'm looking for something cheaper for now, preferably one that can be plugged into the trainer port of a 14SG. All I need is super smooth 2-axis movement (3 would be better, but 2 is fine). It wouldn't be hard to make, but that's over my head.

Any ideas or products I've missed? I'm not talking about a thumb stick, I'm talking about something fatter like an arcade stick or security camera controller.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Maybe I should have put this into a more-frequented section.... :(

Would it be possible to simply wire a 2 or 3 axis joystick controller into a Futaba trainer cable?

ETA: Something like this: https://www.servocity.com/html/3_function_joystick.html

ETA2: Or, alternatively, pull out a gimbal from my old DX7 and install this stick in its place? 3-wire potentiometers, so it should work... I think... I'm not an electronics guy though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Yeah, just a little ;) I do like it though.

I ordered a couple of parts to work on this project, we'll see how it goes.