JJRC H8D Transmitter Defective

ranst4038

Iargan Ambassador
I can't post in Product Reviews so I'll post here. Update to my post transmitter stuck in mode 2.
H8D arrived 12-8-15 like magic after strangest shipping I've ever seen. Tracked it with FedEx from LA to West Virginia 4 days, then to York 1 day. It didn't arrive yesterday like it should but I quit checking after 6pm. Went out to give the chickens their morning popcorn treat at 7:30 and there it was with a label that says it came from Brunswick, NJ. o_O So the first thing I wanted to do is balance the props with the magnetic carbon fiber, red tube & blue nut unit that doesn't seem to have a name. I had already sanded the blue nuts balanced. Found that the B's were almost perfectly balanced. The A's were real heavy on the end that had A molded in. With the excellent macro photography seen on web I was surprised just how tiny the parts are. Handling 4mm jeweler screws with my 57 year old HVAC mechanic shoe leather fingers with no feeling left in them is a real challenge. :mad: When you fob it they get sucked onto the highly magnetic micro motors which requires fishing with a jeweler loop & tweezers. And the heads of those screws once installed are hanging out like hand grenades. So much for balancing the props. I think I got the transmitter bonding & gyro calibrating translated well enough. But why does the screen show Mode 2 when I turn it on and the Mode Switchover button do nothing? :oops: Checked the quad battery voltage out of box & it was 8. Linked trans & calibrated the gyro, Take Off & sure enough the right joystick spins it. I’ve flown R/C since a teen but this is my first quad, and never had anything but what JJRC calls a mode 1 so I’m lost. :eek: But I kept it in the air long enough to press the video button then crashed it. And after it was on the ground & I had a chance to look at the trans I saw why. I was now in Mode 1 the mode button does nothing & the video button above it puts it in mode 1 & turns on the video at the same time. When you press video again to stop & save it pops back to Mode 2. :confused: Well now that I know how to get into mode 1 I flew it till the dead battery lights started flashing & landed. Charged up the battery again until the charger light turned green & checked the voltage, 8.4. Went out for another flight & the right rear motor would not start unless I spun it. I had spent a week reading the reviews, boards & watching the videos. I knew the failure rate of this shoddy Chinese junk was 50% the first hour but you hope that 50% is other guy. Flew it again until the lights flashed but this time it was much shorter. Almost dead motor probably sucking more juice. I want another sent & I’m not paying for return shipping. The vendor settled for $45 refund to buy a new transmitter. So I would buy from Tom Top again. :) Here is the video proof I sent them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
well....sorry to see you've been burned but thanks for following up and documenting it with a video!

ranst4038

Iargan Ambassador
Update = Pressing the video button does not start a video it takes a snapshot. And the snapshot button takes a snapshot. But nothing makes the camera take a video. And there is a momentary short which dims the LED. No working transmitter for Christmas but some motors arrived so I can at least fly it. Ran the shipped charge out of the (5) 650 batteries in the dark 68* out. o_O
First time with ball bearings & http://www.cerflon.com dry lube. Had to start learning over again because it's a different machine. It hovers at 10% Throttle & I don't need more than 50% Speed. Should be 1st thing done to every 7.4v sub 300g RTF. Late tuning into Coast to Coast because the video screen charger keeps trashing the AMD Athlon when I plug it in. :eek: That's the only way I have to charge it. Should have dropped another $10 for 120 12v USB adapters.