Jesus! this would be scary as hell!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Im surprised they had that much control. It almost looked like if they werent under throttle they would be blown backward! In winds that high they are normally gusty and unpredictable making it that much more unbelievable they didnt crash. A good reason to always have lots of reserve fuel.

ChrisViperM

Jesus....just watching this scares the hell out of me.....sitting in that bird, my underwear would be for disposal.

Chris

DennyR

What most airline pilots don't have, is enough trail dragger experience. When you have out of limits crosswind component you have procedures or when it's borderline to hell with rules and wheely it on with the upwind leg to see if you have enough yaw control to stay on the runway. Some can do it and some cant..... Just for fun every pilot should fly a Wilga at some point in their training, with only 12 kt crosswind component limit, you will soon know what your feet are for. Ground handling is like pushing a shopping trolley backwards on a big slope in a gale.

I guess thats why Airlines don't generally like RAF hotshots, they have someone called George.... He's related to the little guy inside your favorite FC who makes life easy for you. It must be real scary when the pilot in command suddenly realizes that George has lost the plot ten feet off the runway.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Had a Qatar Airways guy pull that stunt landing at JFK and I could feel the plane barstool around on the gear, scary as hell. Naturally our DJi flight controllers would have spit in the face of such a paltry gust...

Had a Qatar Airways guy pull that stunt landing at JFK and I could feel the plane barstool around on the gear, scary as hell.

SOP for crosswind landings. There's two techniques - crab like that on final, then kick the rudder and drop the upwind wing just before touch down.
Or keep the fuselage lined up with the runway with the rudder, and side slip by dipping the upwind wing. Either case, theres a limit, determined by rudder authority, and the amount you need to roll the a/c to compensate for the crosswind. In this case, it was too high. With engines on the wings, you want the upwind wheel to touch the ground before the engine does :upset: