It all started with a Proto X

Mike Chevalier

flyandride
Last year after seeing a friend fly hex and a DJI Phantom i searched for drone on ebay. And did some reading and watching youtube videos. I bought a Proto X SLT. It flew well but was to small for outdoors. Soon after I had a Syma X5C. I really learned to fly on that one and in a couple months had several more quads. I've flown hang gliders since '83 and have a Zagi that I haven't flown for a while. Also have flown sail planes so I'm not new to flying things.
My favorite of all the toy quads I have is the Hubsan X4. Small enough to fly indoors, big and fast enough to fly outside.
I have a Tarantula X6, it flies great but the life of the motors is short. I bought an Eachine camera and vtx to add fpv to it sometime soon.
The latest addition to the fleet is a Storm 250 racer. I bought is ready to fly, knowing I was paying more than if I built it, but it was a good way to get the knowledge needed to build. Flew it line of sight a few times and then put on the goggles.
The first few times I didn't take off fast enough and drifted into the weeds, breaking props. I learned to jump up a few feet and get going. Flew around for a while and did the landing approach to my sheet of plywood, overshooting a few times and finally landing in the weeds. I've been taking off the goggles to land it. No FPV crashes yet.
Changed props to the next size up, needed for the elevation here in CO. More batteries, antenna improvements, on screen display for voltage display added. All addicting but fun. Next I will build a 450 size with emphasis on exploration and range. KA3VXY