Is there a guide or FAQ for setting up the DJI / Wookong systems (general WTF)

I just picked up a package with a DJI 550, Wookong, data link, and am using it with a Futaba 8FG Super. After fighting through the manual (such as it is) and trying to determine what it is trying to get you to do I have responding but far from workable. Excluding the GPS, ground station etc. (what I bought it for) I am just trying to get it up and flying from the local TX. Thus far it will attempt take off often with a rotation, then attempts to bring it to a landing result with an idle high enough to cause it to float and of course drift into things. I can't help but see that I am a long way from click and go flying.

Before I start trying to sift through this on a forum, is there a guide/FAQ already in place?

I just picked up a package with a DJI 550, Wookong, data link, and am using it with a Futaba 8FG Super. After fighting through the manual (such as it is) and trying to determine what it is trying to get you to do I have responding but far from workable. Excluding the GPS, ground station etc. (what I bought it for) I am just trying to get it up and flying from the local TX. Thus far it will attempt take off often with a rotation, then attempts to bring it to a landing result with an idle high enough to cause it to float and of course drift into things. I can't help but see that I am a long way from click and go flying.

Before I start trying to sift through this on a forum, is there a guide/FAQ already in place?

45 minutes worth to get ya started

Last edited by a moderator:

I just recently got into this, purchase 2 F550 kit, with 2 WKM.. also got the Futaba 8fg and using SBUS..

PM me, let me know what you are needing help with specifically.

Regards,
KS

Thanks so much for that video link, I figured out my biggest issue in that the prop rotation being a sequence of clockwise and counter clockwise was wrong. Now the copter will lift off and hover just fine, manual control seems good for hovering and forward flight. Next week when I have some free time I will continue on with the setup of the auto modes, GPS/compass etc. But at least I have a flying copter now.

Does anyone know which landing gear/ gimbal he is using in that video, or an equivalent unit, it seems exactly what I need for my go-pro.

I got the gear and gimbal, in a box for now, and sat down to finish the configuration using the video and manual. And unfortunately I got nowhere fast. I did fly the hex again and it flies fine as a direct control heli.

My basic 1-4 channels are properly oriented and calibrated so I wanted to move on to the mode select function. Between the video which explains yours will likely be different, and the lackluster manuals I was clicking and changing for about an hour without getting to the point of being able to change modes. The setup assistant indicates it is in mode A but the flight behavior seems more like M mode from the descriptions. So I have a Futaba 8FG super and would appreciate any guidance in how to map the switch and set the values.

Also some general questions, how long does it generally take for the GPS to acquire? And is there any way to read the value in the software to verify that you have your homepoint saved where you intended?

After about 3 hours of flipping subtrims I have not gotten to the point of having GPS A and M from my mode select switch.

Thanks to ksrim PMing me I was able to map the SD switch to the GOVENOR function and by adjusting the end points I can get the switch to select different modes, I can get combinations such as (Switch positions from bottom to top) A M nothing, A A A, M GPS GPS, but never M A GPS

After getting nowhere I did a reset to default config on the radio and then the setup worked, odd since it was fresh out of the box, but something was wrong. I can now select between the modes just fine.