Is there a 3axis gimbal that will fly a sony RX1?

Looking for a 3 axis gimbal to fly a sony RX1. Anyone know of one that will work for this camera?

I have a hex with a heavy lift kit, so I have plenty of lifting power to do the job. I couldn't find any decent info through search.

I have a budget for this gimbal & know it will be dear, just want to make sure I make as good of a decision as possible. Thanks in advance for any insight.

econfly

Looks like it's just under 500 grams. That's pretty light. If you don't mind the Alexmos setup and balance issues, you have a lot of options. If you want a project and have the patience, you can get a lot out of a cheaper solution. I have one of these RC-Timer gimbals, and it works pretty well for smaller cameras:

http://www.rctimer.com/product_980.html

It's no Zenmuse, and you have no choice but to crawl into the depths of Alexmos settings, etc. This is the way to go if you have the time and enjoy tinkering around. If you go this way, consider using just the gimbal frame and pick your own motors (this is what I did). Also look at the new 32-bit 3-axis Alexmos controller (supposed to be better, I have one but haven't had time to play with it yet). You will need to do about everything (assembly, balancing, mounting, software config, providing power -- you probably want a BEC of some sort to stabilize voltage, etc.).

There are tons of people selling these Alexmos gimbals and they all require some amount of messing around and tinkering. When you see them, the most important thing is easy balancing, construction that does not bind or introduce friction, and build that makes it simple to adjust while keeping each axis perpendicular to the planes of the other two. Motors can be replaced and are relatively cheap. The Alexmos controller is what it is -- no builder is making it any different. So it's all about gimbal construction. There are guys out there selling absolute crap and lots of it. I know. I own some of it. That RC-Timer ASP is not so bad in this regard. It's aluminum. Build is OK. It's not perfect, but you can work with it.

It's a long way from there to anything materially better, and that's pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: