Is soldering really that hard?

Hi guys. I am wondering how I solder an esc to a motor without blowing anything up? Is it possible for me, because I'm not a pro. I only have some experience. And I have a strong solder gun, not iron. How can I do it with a regular esc? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoki

whaaaaa, I think a gun is too big to be able to do it easily without touching other nearby parts that could damage it. If you use a soldering iron with a medium to small tip it will be easier. As long as you wait long enough for it to get real hot you just barely touch the solder and it'll melt. usually put my wire on the solder I wanna connect it to then place the tip of the iron on it and that'll heat it up and the solder and then I push it down into it when the tip real quick while holding it there for a sec with my fingers f inch or so below on the wire. I've always had good results with that. It's best to solder directly to an ESC that has the 3 solder points in the front in 1 row cause if it's the kind of ESC that has them in the center it'll be harder to do but if you do it just do it the same way but I'd start with the solder point that's closest the the motor and work your way back and then I would put some liquid tape over it then some shrink tube over the whole thing.

Hoki

it's extremely important that no metal part is exposed. I've made 3 fires and make it stink so bad and broke a motor cause I had some metal making contact.

I could get a small tip for the gun. I have a iron but it's powered by butane with a fire. I don't like it. Could I do it with bullet connectors? Or is it too hard? Thanks

Hoki

well I guess anything will work as long as it gets hot enough. putting on 2mm or 3mm bullet connectors is the easiest way I think.

Hoki

usually the 12amp and under are used for the smaller quads and the 20amp + are for the bigger size. I'd recommend getting the ones I posted a link to on my other thread but any will do and you should get at least 1 extra one in case you blow one up.

usually the 12amp and under are used for the smaller quads and the 20amp + are for the bigger size. I'd recommend getting the ones I posted a link to on my other thread but any will do and you should get at least 1 extra one in case you blow one up.
I know that the esc are 12a. Is it good to remove the middle wire? That is what a lot of people seem to do. And what is the most common size for the bullet connectors? 3.5 mm? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then would my 140 watt gun be too much? It takes like 12 minutes for the butane one to heat up. And how much weight would connectors add? Would it make the quad sluggish?

Last edited by a moderator:

140 watts is too much. Connectors will not add that much weight unless you are talking about a really small, lightweight quad and then you should use small lightweight connectors.

What will happen if I use the 140 solder? Will the esc catch on fire? And I am building a semi light 250. I will get the small banana connectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too much heat could migrate into the esc and damage it. I'm not saying you can't do it but it's like trying to pound nails with a sledge hammer. Way more heat than you need to get the job done.