Is my motor ruined? Video inside

andrewrob

Just noticed when spinning the shafts of each motor with my finger that one of them sounds quite clattery.
I've upped the sound a bit on the video so its louder than normal so you can hear it but it doesn't sound great in person.
Do I need to replace this? I think Geoff has them in stock so any advice as soon as possible would be great so we can still get a weekend of flying in!

The first motor in the video is a good one the second is the bad
Apologies for the quality, I had to do it in a rush last night before bed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanzar

Yea u have a bad motor. Seems like the bearing in faulty. So easy fix would be replacing bearings on the engine or buy a new one. Regards.

andrewrob

Thanks Lanzar. I've ordered a new motor to get us up and running in the mean time but will see if I can get a bearing at a later date so I have a working spare.

RCNut

Sounds worse than a bearing. Are you sure you dont have a loose magnet? Theyre only glued in and sometimes they can come loose if they've had an impact. If you can remove the circlip from the end of the shaft and separate the motor you'll seen see if one of the magnets has shifted. If so, glue it back into place with some epoxy and it should be fine.

Of course you could also have sucked in a small stone or some grit from a dusty landing.

andrewrob

Sounds worse than a bearing. Are you sure you dont have a loose magnet? Theyre only glued in and sometimes they can come loose if they've had an impact. If you can remove the circlip from the end of the shaft and separate the motor you'll seen see if one of the magnets has shifted. If so, glue it back into place with some epoxy and it should be fine.

Of course you could also have sucked in a small stone or some grit from a dusty landing.

No heavy impacts but small stone or grit sounds possible. The new one is on its way anyway so I'll stick that in for now then pull this one apart and have a look at the weekend.
Thanks for the tips.