Introducing The Roflocator - Track your Multirotor Device with GPS

Background

Have you ever lost your multirotor device? Do you lack the means of tracking your multirotor? The Roflocator is the solution to your problems. This device tracks your multirotor device and constantly notifies you of its current coordinates. It’s simple to install, cost effective, and easy to use.

How does it work?

The Roflocator has two transceivers that can transmit and receive data over a large range. One of the transceivers sits on the multirotor while the other is kept on your person. Once a GPS connection is locked with enough satellites (typically under 10 seconds in optimal conditions), the transceiver will begin to beacon the coordinates specifically to your transceiver. The coordinates will then be displayed on the LCD screen and you will be able to keep track of your multirotor device’s exact location at all times.

What is included?

1 x multirotor GPS transceiver
1 x receiver

Who is this solution tailored toward?

People who wish to track their multirotor without the hassle of paying for a monthly SIM card along with the cost of a device to transmit the coordinates, or for individuals who wish to fly their multirotor device in a remote area where cell phone coverage covered is scarce.

What will the final product look like?

The final product will have an ABS plastic enclosure for the receiver with a 9v battery enclosure. The PCBs will be professionally manufactured and lead free (ENIG finish).

Customizable Orders

Below is a list that articulates what packages you will be able to purchase. The GPS enclosure will be the only feature that will alter the price.

Battery connector: 9v Battery or 3.7v Lithium Ion Polymer
GPS Enclosure: Yes or No
Firmware: Longitude/Latitude Only (longer battery life) or Altitude, Speed, and Longitude/Latitude (shorter battery life)

Prototype Pictures

Multirotor GPS Transmitter

Nq7tkYn.jpg

Receiver

PG5khdh.jpg

5hjzlBc.jpg

The GPS coordinates are partially blurred in this photo.

Example of Installing in WLToys V262 Quadcopter

ruH7Jnu.jpg

OXxoIMR.jpg

Technical Specifications

Radio Frequency: 433MHz
Range (line-of-sight, optimal conditions apply) : ~1KM
Range with Interference: ~200M
Weight without battery: ~22g
Battery: Default is a 9V battery -- customizable to accept 3.7V Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery

Receiver

Battery: Default is a 9V battery -- modifiable to accept 3.7V Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery
LCD Resolution with backlight: 48px x 84px
Enclosure: ABS Plastic

When and where can I buy this?

You will now be able to pre-order your Roflocator by navigating to the following link: http://leetupload.com/blagosphere/index.php/2014/09/20/the-roflocator-now-taking-pre-orders/

Please allow 3~4 weeks lead time for production. The starting price will be $75.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
433 Mhz is in the HAM radio band..... So a HAM radio license and call sign are required!!!

Background

Have you ever lost your multirotor device? Do you lack the means of tracking your multirotor? The Roflocator is the solution to your problems. This device tracks your multirotor device and constantly notifies you of its current coordinates. It’s simple to install, cost effective, and easy to use.

How does it work?

The Roflocator has two transceivers that can transmit and receive data over a large range. One of the transceivers sits on the multirotor while the other is kept on your person. Once a GPS connection is locked with enough satellites (typically under 10 seconds in optimal conditions), the transceiver will begin to beacon the coordinates specifically to your transceiver. The coordinates will then be displayed on the LCD screen and you will be able to keep track of your multirotor device’s exact location at all times.

What is included?

1 x receiver

Who is this solution tailored toward?

People who wish to track their multirotor without the hassle of paying for a monthly SIM card along with the cost of a device to transmit the coordinates, or for individuals who wish to fly their multirotor device in a remote area where cell phone coverage covered is scarce.

What will the final product look like?

The final product will have an ABS plastic enclosure for the receiver with a 9v battery enclosure. The PCBs will be professionally manufactured and lead free (ENIG finish).

Customizable Orders

Below is a list that articulates what packages you will be able to purchase. The GPS enclosure will be the only feature that will alter the price.

Battery connector: 9v Battery or 3.7v Lithium Ion Polymer
GPS Enclosure: Yes or No
Firmware: Longitude/Latitude Only (longer battery life) or Altitude, Speed, and Longitude/Latitude (shorter battery life)

Prototype Pictures

Nq7tkYn.jpg

Receiver

PG5khdh.jpg

5hjzlBc.jpg

The GPS coordinates are partially blurred in this photo.

Example of Installing in WLToys V262 Quadcopter

ruH7Jnu.jpg

OXxoIMR.jpg

Technical Specifications

Weight without battery: ~22g
Battery: Default is a 9V battery -- customizable to accept 3.7V Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery

Receiver

Battery: Default is a 9V battery -- modifiable to accept 3.7V Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery
LCD Resolution with backlight: 48px x 84px
Enclosure: ABS Plastic

When and where can I buy this?

You will now be able to pre-order your Roflocator by navigating to the following link: http://leetupload.com/blagosphere/index.php/2014/09/20/the-roflocator-now-taking-pre-orders/

Please allow 3~4 weeks lead time for production. The starting price will be $75.

SoCal Blur

433 Mhz is in the HAM radio band..... So a HAM radio license and call sign are required!!!

Are you talking USA? 433 MHz is unlicensed for short range consumer devices - your remote car unlock almost certainly uses 433 MHz.

It's true that 433MHz is within the Ham radio bands..70cm UHF band to be specific. However, there is a provision under part 15 of the FCC rules that allows the use of unlicensed operation on frequencies between 433.05MHz - 434.79MHz as long as the power doesn't exceed 25mw, if I remember correctly.

It's true that 433MHz is within the Ham radio bands..70cm UHF band to be specific. However, there is a provision under part 15 of the FCC rules that allows the use of unlicensed operation on frequencies between 433.05MHz - 434.79MHz as long as the power doesn't exceed 25mw, if I remember correctly.

That sounds accurate to me. The radio module I'm using is powered around 20mw.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Background

How does it work?

What is included?

1 x receiver

[snip]

Well I don't know about this. You don't specify any sort of dimensions but from the photo looks very kludgey. Where the heck is one supposed to mount something like this on his F450?? Me thinks this needs to evolve before it becomes useful.

Well I don't know about this. You don't specify any sort of dimensions but from the photo looks very kludgey. Where the heck is one supposed to mount something like this on his F450?? Me thinks this needs to evolve before it becomes useful.

The transmitter will not come with an enclosure, unless requested. Here are the dimensions of the board that has been sent to the fab: 1.78 x 1.38 inches (45.19 x 35.00mm).

As far as the receiver goes, you will need the dimensions of the enclosure. I will be using this enclosure. If not this exact one, something very similar: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1593T.pdf

This device cannot be tailored for every quadcopter, but I made it about as small as possible. As far as the F450 goes, I don't see why a mounting bracket could not be added to the quadcopter and have it stored underneath. This is a fairly small device and should be fairly easily attached to most quadcopters. Please note that the images displayed are only the proof of concept, not the final product. Therefore, please do not take the displayed product's size into consideration.

I hope that the provided dimensions help!

Av8Chuck

I think that might be Gary's point, its hard to tell what I'm looking at from those pictures and mounting things under the MR is problematic if there's a camera gimbal.

Just a suggestion but you might want to get a completed prototype mounted on different MR's so people can see, in context, how big and where they might mount it.

I think that might be Gary's point, its hard to tell what I'm looking at from those pictures and mounting things under the MR is problematic if there's a camera gimbal.

Just a suggestion but you might want to get a completed prototype mounted on different MR's so people can see, in context, how big and where they might mount it.

Absolutely. The boards have been sent to the fab so I should get them back in a week or two. The dimensions of the board should give a good idea, but I will follow-up with the new boards after I get the parts together.

I have a couple of pictures up there showing the prototype in my W262, but I can understand where you guys are coming from.