Insurance requirements

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
What are the insurance requirements for racing? Is it different depending on who's hosting the race? For example will MultiGP allow AMA, but DRL or US FPV League require something different?

What's required? What does the policy cover? How much is it?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
That's a good question, I am not really sure whether the drone racers are required to carry any insurance. The AMA insurance covers the damage to the aircraft, but I am yet to hear someone using it successfully to cover a racing drone crash, as the drone races are usually not on Ama sanctioned fields or events.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
AMA does not cover damage to the aircraft but does-

• Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
  • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
  • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
  • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
  • Primary Site Owner Insurance
I highly recommend that you join the AMA as they are responsible for the hobby and fight for our rights.

anthnson1

Interesting question!!FPV racing is an emerging sport combining multi-copters, live video, and high-speed racing. I am exactly not sure, but I think insurance is necessary for every drone.

Nickalf

I highly recommend that you join the AMA as they are responsible for the hobby and fight for our rights.
Agreed - but there's a 'red tape' hitch that needs to be addressed - Even though FPV racing is growing world wide, in the US it's against an act of Congress (line of sight only) so the AMA insurance (plus others) 'may' not cover a claim !?!?!