I'm already an excellent flier...on Xbox

BobaPhil

Hello everyone,

I'm a 'semi-professional amateur' photographer who's looking into getting a drone for something a bit extra for views and a different perspective. I'm mostly do landscapes, so having a drone on a day out might make for different photos.

I'm going to be asking a lot of basic questions, but I'm someone who likes to do their homework before getting into something. I've set my self a budget and I have a GoPro, so I'm looking for something that will carry that and maybe something later to hold me DSLR, but I'm going to walk before I run, or at least hover before I fly (a drone joke there).

I have my eye on a few already, but I'll settle in a little first before I make a list and ask everyone for a detailed description, listing of pros and cons on everything! :)

Vermiform

My advice:

Start with a Blade Nano QX. It has no camera and is not an ideal quad for outdoors. That said, it is built like a tank, extremely responsive and you can use it to learn to fly while sitting on your couch. It has different modes so you can use it to learn to fly in unstabilized mode as well. Buy 2-3 spare batteries for it and fly the hell out of it.

Don't buy the version that comes with a transmitter. Buy the "bind-n-fly" version and buy a Spektrum DX6i or greater. Then you will have a decent transmitter to use when you move to a larger bird.

Also, don't discount your x-box flying skills. The reflexes you have developed transfer over to RC nicely!