"Icecrab" design for MR platform

smooth24

Hey guys just recently got into multirotor scene and have been exploring different designs. I came across the Q4 VD-SLR 12 otherwise known as "project icecrab" on their website which can be seen here.
http://www.flight-cams.com/interested/q4_vdslr_master_2/

This is the most unique design ive seen so far and would suit my needs the best. My question is, is there generic flight controllers out there capable of supporting this type of platform so I can build it myself?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Not sure I like the takeoff and landing method much, "okay guys who is going to be the landing gear today?"

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
the fact they have a wookong on it I would guess it flies in hex x config. usually when you see a 12 motor setup they are using 2 motors from only 1 output.

So how do they control yaw?
Im assuming that 1 motor signal is split between a coaxial pair on one arm?
But the torque from the top motor will cancel out the torque from the bottom motor..
So how is yaw controlled?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
pretty sure its a MK, know the guys from comments in the german MK forum. What looks like the GPS from WKM is their RX on a pole !

Boris

hah yeah I saw all those little antennae sticking out of the "GPS"

BUT...
Kopterworx have made a Coaxial Hex X... hmmm

AutoQuad will also work? But they need to sort the failsafe to feel "safe" flying expensive gear

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ah, ok. thats exactly why I thought it was wookong. Although it looks like there is the DJI gray IMU box in there as well.The yaw is no different from a hex. Bottom motors turn opposite of the tops and all adjacent motors turn opposite of each other. So yaw works the same as a hex. I'm sure it works great. Just a beast and extremely dangerous to land!

But you are speeding up (and slowing down) both a CW and CCW rotating motor on each arm.
There is no change in the Overall Resultant Moment about the z axis
It cannot control yaw like that

Unless I am missing something?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, how else would you control 12 separate motors with a controller that only supports 8? I'm pretty sure the bottom/top RPM are fixed per channel.