I need an info dump

Mr. T

Hello everyone,
New guy here, and first time posting a thread.....ever. I am new to this whole thing. I am at a point where my eyes and mind are glazed over. As I am poring over this web sight and those of companies, I am getting info overload on what all the parts I will need eventually and what they do....For example:

Wookong? I KNOW... I at that last night, at Mongolian Grill. Also it kinda sounds like the noise you make, when you throw up.

Naza? Ok, I know what this is now but, man, it was hard to say Naza WITHOUT saying it like NASA. But is the Naza M v1 vs the Naza M v2 really worth the money for the difference?

Well by now your saying "Ok Terry, where is it that you want to go with this?"

I have loved flying, planes, kites....adventures... So I would eventually like to get into AP and AV, moving towards a business using aerial video in many different commercial applications.

Where do I go to learn about the parts and what craft I should begin flying with? As someone said earlier, start with a very inexpensive quad utilizing a very very good (expensive) controller. Makes total sense to me. Which quad and why? Where can I go specifically, without wasting a lot of time finding all the info to make an educated decision?

Thank you for your answers. I would of written more, but it took me so long to type just this, that now I have to use the restroom. Got ta go!! Hope you found this lengthy post entertaining.

-Mr. T (not the one with all the gold chains)

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyGirl

Hi Terry! It WAS entertaining! I am kind of new to this too. I started flying RC planes way back in the late 70's after flying full size planes and did that until the kids started popping out. Then when they were older and they wanted to take up RC cars, I did that with them which led to RC sailboats, RC scale boats, and then eventually racing RC nitro boats on a regional race circuit. That somehow led to racing full size cars (road racing) for ten years when I got injured (not a car wreck) and retired from driving races to only doing track days. My middle son gave me a small coaxial helicopter when I couldn't drive and that renewed the RC fever. In a year I bought 10 helicopters or so and 3 of them were small cheap multirotors which I really enjoyed (and still do). So this summer I bought my first higher end MR, a DJI 450 Flame Wheel with a NAZA-M Lite w/GPS. Since then I bought a Replay XD720 camera to sling under it and a FatShark Predator v2 FPV system with a 600 mW Immersion Vtx. I already had a good radio from the helis, a Spektrum DX7s with an AR8000 Rx and I have EzOSD from Immersion on the way. Everything I've learned I've learned from the forums I hang out in and from the others that have preceded me. That and good ol' YouTube. Lots and lots of reading and researching, lots of crashing the inexpensive quads which are almost indestructible.

So to your questions, learn from the forums you are signed up on and also from YouTube. Look and see if there is a Drone Users Group near you. I am lucky enough to have two that I now belong to. Use YouTube for how to do things. ASK QUESTIONS! Don't be shy even if you think it's a dumb question. All the people in these forums have been rookies before and are paying back the help they got by helping new people.

What to start out with? You can go totally cheap with a Syma X1, a Walkera multirotor, or a WLToys V-959. The way that makes the most sense to me though in hindsight, which I have seen mentioned here, is to buy a Blade mQX bind n fly (http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=BLH7580) with a Spektrum radio (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx) that has as many channels as you can afford. You can grow with the radio and the small quad can take a beating.

Okay, now I gotta go.... LOL! Have fun!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Naza V1, you probably can't buy a V1 any more so the choice will be V2 or Lite, yes the V2 is worth the money but the Lite may do everything you need.

mQX and the best radio you can afford is a good way to go, get 8 or 9 channels.

Visit here often to read what others ask, it will enlighten you.

If you seriously want to do serious photo/video then be prepared to take serious amounts of time and spend serious amounts of cash, quite seriously don't try and go straight to something big, take smaller steps.

Cheers.

Pete

Mr. T

Yes I will do what you say. thanks for your input and I look forward to conversing more with you. Have a good rotor day.
-mr. t

Mr. T

Thanks Flygirl,
You truly are fly. I found your post very interesting. A fellow adventure seeker. I will do just as you said. I have two forums I go to, which is this one and FPV forum. Do you know of another very active forum like this one (I went to helifreak, but it seems more for helicopter) that is focused on multirotor? Thanks for making yourself available to respond to my post. I appreciate your Spirit. I look forward to hanger flying with you and all the other participant of this wonderful forum.

-Terry