I need a camera!

Hello all!
New at MultiRotorForums, so hello! :)

With me i brought a question :p

I currently have a droidworx ad 6, with the av200 gimbal. I now need a camera.

I friend of me told me that there is no use for a SLR camera, cause the Nex5-n does the same job...

I then wounder why do some of you use 5d, and 7d?

What is better with nex5-n for proffesional aerial photograpy?

Thanks

-Kjetil Hansen
Norway

jes1111

Ooh! A can of worms, this question!

Video or stills or both? You need to be clear what your professional intentions and standards are. Many people will be happy with the video and stills from a NEX5, many will not.

So you will get better pictures with an SLR?

I primarily want to take stills, but I would also like to make a decent fulHD film..

jes1111

So you will get better pictures with an SLR?
No - to get better pictures you need to be a better photographer ;)

Think of it in the same way as any other photography - regular, old-fashioned, on-the-ground photography. What would you be happy with? What would your customers be happy with? Make that choice, then build/buy the machine to fly it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jforkner

Whatever camera you choose will take similar photos in the air as on the ground. But you need to consider the weight of the camera and the MC's ability to carry it as well as how you'll actuate the shutter. Another consideration centers around whether or not you're going to simply point the camera/MC at the subject and "hope" for the right composition, or will you downlink the image to a ground station so you can more accurately compose the picture.

None of these are showstoppers, but deciding beforehand how you're going to actuate the shutter and if you're going to downlink will help ensure the camera you choose has the right interfaces for your needs. Once you determine those parameters, along with the max. weight you can carry, find a camera that takes photos on the ground that meet your quality standards and test it. Keep in mind, however, that you won't have immediate access to all the settings when the camera is in the air like you would if you're standing on the ground with the camera in your hand.

Jack

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The fact that you are asking this question would imply you should probably buy the nex. I have the nex and a 7d and I never fly the 7d. If the production company wants to use a 5d (which they get very excited about) then let them provide it. but unless you have some hefty motors/esc'c, the hex/av200 is pushing it. even on an octo I worry about the weight of my 7d and nice glass. But again, if you are unsure about this, the better choice is to get the Nex or buy a T2i, which is going to yield the same results under the right hands. You can also buy a $20 adapter for the nex to use EF lenses, full manual of course but thats not a bad thing.