I did some upgrades to the F550 today

iceman17

I added an AeroXcraft Gopro gimbal and their DJI F550 landing gear today along with 4 black arms so it would be easier to see on cloudy days. I also added a telemetry unit and hooked up a voltage sensor as well as an altitude sensor. This took me two days of tearing down and building up my rig but in the end it was worth it. Turns out I was missing 10mm a plastic spacer in the gimbal parts bag so I had to make one up. Im not a big fan of how the battery mounts to the new frame, fact is there was zero directions on how it supposed to mount, the old way of mounting on top was quick and easy to change out. I am currently running my Hitec ms65mg servo's straight to the Naza and have noticed that the gimbal is not very smooth, kind of twitchy the servos are set to 50hz in Naza. Not sure if a separate BEC will fix the problem or not as others have said there was no improvement with their set up. Here are some shots of before, during and after. I am running a 5000 Mah 3 cell battery and if anyone knows of the proper way to place it in the landing gear I would love to know how, you can see the battery in the third pic.View attachment 12355View attachment 12356View attachment 12357View attachment 12358

Attachments

• _DSC4570 copy RS.jpg
    _DSC4570 copy RS.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 282
  • _DSC4585 copy RS.jpg
    _DSC4585 copy RS.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 310
  • _DSC4587 copy RS.jpg
    _DSC4587 copy RS.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 282

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I would run a separate BEC, if one of the servos draws too much via your NAZA, guess what might happen? Running a BEC will give you a more stable voltage to your servos.

I added an AeroXcraft Gopro gimbal and their DJI F550 landing gear today along with 4 black arms so it would be easier to see on cloudy days. I also added a telemetry unit and hooked up a voltage sensor as well as an altitude sensor. This took me two days of tearing down and building up my rig but in the end it was worth it. Turns out I was missing 10mm a plastic spacer in the gimbal parts bag so I had to make one up. Im not a big fan of how the battery mounts to the new frame, fact is there was zero directions on how it supposed to mount, the old way of mounting on top was quick and easy to change out. I am currently running my Hitec ms65mg servo's straight to the Naza and have noticed that the gimbal is not very smooth, kind of twitchy the servos are set to 50hz in Naza. Not sure if a separate BEC will fix the problem or not as others have said there was no improvement with their set up. Here are some shots of before, during and after. I am running a 5000 Mah 3 cell battery and if anyone knows of the proper way to place it in the landing gear I would love to know how, you can see the battery in the third pic.

Looks awesome, I'm looking at a similar build. What kind of endurance do you get with this setup?

iceman17

Deanot I've been concerned about a brown out as well so I ordered a bec, should be here next week. Thanks for the advise. Will a BEC work or do I need a UBEC, not sure on the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman17

I haven't had it up with the new gear in it yet, it has been way to windy here and lots of rain as well. I think I will wait for the bec to come in before I fly it just to be safe..
Looks awesome, I'm looking at a similar build. What kind of endurance do you get with this setup?