I am afraid to maiden my new S800 EVO

Hi,

I've been flying a F550 Naza M GoPro for the last six months, flies like a dream.

I've just built an S800 EVO and am in the process of configuring it. I see all these postings about S800 crashes and I am nearly afraid of the maiden voyage! It is so much bigger and heavier than the F550.
I am using (at the moment) a Photohigher AV200 gimble with a typical Sony Handycam camcorder and a 10,200maH
battery. No fpv or iOSD on there yet, and as it stands at the moment my total weight is exactly 7 kilos.

Has anyone got an EVO up and running yet? If so, can you tell me:
What gain settings you used (for what weight?)
Did you mount the IMU on the backplate?
Which size rod did you use for the GPS? (I got three different sizes in an envelope and used the shortest one)
Any other settings in the Wookong Assistant that would be useful? (and any useful flying tips/procedures for my maiden flight)

Lastly, I am using a Futaba 14 ch transmitter with an R6014HS receiver. I am getting a 2nd R6014HS receiver to give me extra channels for the gimbal (configuring one as a primary and the other as a secondary), but I am unsure how to get power to the second receiver.
Has anyone done this?

Many thanks guys!

I am going to assume that you are using the WooKong M-GPS system.....
IMHO I would do intial test flights without the payload... so adjust your CofG accordingly. If you think the MR will be overpowered w/o the intended payload just place a dead weight in the camera gimbal equiv to the weight of your camera.
The IMU, which is very sensitive to vibration, belongs on the provided plate that comes with the anti-vibration kit which I assume is part of the EVO package.....
The PMU provides 5 volts for your primary receiver.... maybe you could split the output into parallel power to feed both receivers as they do not draw much current unless you have additional servo outputs drawing current thru your receiver power supply.
The iOSD, which you might be getting, provides additional power out capability but I don't believe any are 5 volts for receivers.

Use the longest GPS antenna rod at first.... switch to a shorter GPS rod only after first test flights with your camera and gimbal system operating....

Hi,

I've been flying a F550 Naza M GoPro for the last six months, flies like a dream.

I've just built an S800 EVO and am in the process of configuring it. I see all these postings about S800 crashes and I am nearly afraid of the maiden voyage! It is so much bigger and heavier than the F550.
I am using (at the moment) a Photohigher AV200 gimble with a typical Sony Handycam camcorder and a 10,200maH
battery. No fpv or iOSD on there yet, and as it stands at the moment my total weight is exactly 7 kilos.

Has anyone got an EVO up and running yet? If so, can you tell me:
What gain settings you used (for what weight?)
Did you mount the IMU on the backplate?
Which size rod did you use for the GPS? (I got three different sizes in an envelope and used the shortest one)
Any other settings in the Wookong Assistant that would be useful? (and any useful flying tips/procedures for my maiden flight)

Lastly, I am using a Futaba 14 ch transmitter with an R6014HS receiver. I am getting a 2nd R6014HS receiver to give me extra channels for the gimbal (configuring one as a primary and the other as a secondary), but I am unsure how to get power to the second receiver.
Has anyone done this?

Many thanks guys!

Mick

XXTREME
Boy everybody is saying that they have them on order but no word on a delivery date just sorry but it been delayed again & again & again just like the one I have on order and also prepaid for sorry to rant but just wondering where you live since no one else seams to be getting theirs anyway I hope it is worth the wait and you can let us know it is the best hexa ever

Zzr

+1.
Boy everybody is saying that they have them on order but no word on a delivery date just sorry but it been delayed again & again & again just like the one I have on order and also prepaid for sorry to rant but just wondering where you live since no one else seams to be getting theirs anyway I hope it is worth the wait and you can let us know it is the best hexa ever

Tahoe Ed

IMHO I would do intial test flights without the payload... so adjust your CofG accordingly. If you think the MR will be overpowered w/o the intended payload just place a dead weight in the camera gimbal equiv to the weight of your camera.
The IMU, which is very sensitive to vibration, belongs on the provided plate that comes with the anti-vibration kit which I assume is part of the EVO package.....
The PMU provides 5 volts for your primary receiver.... maybe you could split the output into parallel power to feed both receivers as they do not draw much current unless you have additional servo outputs drawing current thru your receiver power supply.
The iOSD, which you might be getting, provides additional power out capability but I don't believe any are 5 volts for receivers.

Use the longest GPS antenna rod at first.... switch to a shorter GPS rod only after first test flights with your camera and gimbal system operating....

You are right, no payload for the first flights. Add that later after you are confident in the flying characteristics. Then add the expensive stuff.

Hi Mick, I live in France, near the Swiss border and I bought the S800 EVO through a French distributor.
Hope you get yours soon!

Hi PeterLester - thanks for the quick reply, that all sounds like good advice.
Yes, I am using Wookong - I bought that package that is on offer with the 50 waypoints and iOSD.
Regarding the GPS antenna, I suppose I should have waited for some advice BEFORE I glued on the shortest rod! :)
To change it now to the longest one I will probably have to drill out the other one.

Now I need to find some ballpark gain settings to start off with..

ChrisViperM

Hi Louis

Technical:

Since the EVO features the vibration dampening system, it wouldn't make any sense to mount the IMU directly to the frame....mount it to that IMU - plate....you can mount it on the back of the copter (like to see on all DJI photos), but you can mount the plate/IMU to the front as well. Only thing to watch out is that the IMU would look backwards, which you can set in the Assistent software.....you actually HAVE TO
Here (Post #7) you can see how it looks like being on the front (It's not the EVO, but doesn't make any difference): http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-tips-and-info&p=115299&viewfull=1#post115299

More important than the rod-lenght is the GPS and COG settings in the Assistant software : http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?12760-GPS-Mounting&highlight=center+gravity...make sure you are spot-on.

On the WooKong Manual 1.08 (http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/wkm/en/WooKong-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.08_en.pdf), Page 6 you have gain settings for the EVO. For the beginning I would lower them from 130-130-150-150-180-180 to 120-120-130-130-160-160 and

only once you are confident start tuning the gains one by one.

Switch off LiPo power protection in the Assistant and use some cheap LiPo warner....100% more reliable. http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1232

Be aware that with the latest WooKong firmware there is a new "spool-up" feature for take-off. Some don't like it (including me) but it will help you for your maiden flight:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...sponse-Need-Option-to-turn-off&highlight=poll
If you don't know about, you might get a fright and make a mistake...if you know about it, it will help you.

Take off in Altitude Mode, not in GPS mode on a calm day with little to no wind.....very unlikely that your Altitude sensor is defect, but at that stage you cannot be 100% sure about your GPS settings.

Try to lift off the ground pretty fast to get away from the down-wash effect (happens when the copter is too close to the ground and the airflow from the props is disturbing it), but don't go higher than 2 - 2,5 m. Don't stand too close to the copter, just make sure that you clearly can observe the LED. White flashes mean: LAND IMMEDIATELY....that's why it's wise not to be too high.

Once air-borne, let it hoover for about 2 minutes and just try to keep it on one spot with your remote control.....once there is no problems, start to slowly move the copter.....a few meters to the right, a few meters to the left, some forward and backward......and always have an eye on your LED. This procedure requires that you work concentrated, if you are concentrated and work with a "plan", chances are small that you panic. Remember: The biggest enemy is your panic....slowly build up your confidence, and later on try the GPS mode and do the same procedure like I have written for Altitude Mode.

Leave your fingers away from Coming-Home and similar "features", at least in the beginning untill you know your bird inside-out.

Hope this helps you ...

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply, it has been EXTREMELY useful! I looked at your pics and here are some general comments:

I like the braid sleeve you use on your system.

I see you have mounted the MC and RX on the top of the top plate - it certainly makes it nice and accessible.
In the DJI-Innovations video they mount them upside down on the underneath of the top plate, but your way seems more sensible.

I hear people talking about the IMU now being housed in a metal case - the one I got a few weeks ago with the Wookong-M Waypoint is plastic. I wonder have they offloaded me with old stock?

I notice what looks like blue plastic covering on your RX antennas, I presume to stiffen them up?
Is that something you made up yourself?

LIPO power protection - I don't like the system on the Naza-M with my F550, so I might try your suggestion.
Do you then rely on the bright red LED warning light on that sensor device?

Yes, I am used to the "spool-up" feature on my F550, I don't mind it.

Lastly, I suppose one of the things that attracted me to the S800 was it's portability.
I thought it might arrive in a nice aluminium case, but I suppose I have to make it portable myself...

Cheers,
Louis

ChrisViperM

Hi Louis

I notice what looks like blue plastic covering on your RX antennas, I presume to stiffen them up?
Is that something you made up yourself?

I like the braid sleeve you use on your system.

If you read the whole thread (http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-tips-and-info&p=115299&viewfull=1#post115299), the antenna cover and the sleeving are covered there....somewhere

I hear people talking about the IMU now being housed in a metal case - the one I got a few weeks ago with the Wookong-M Waypoint is plastic. I wonder have they offloaded me with old stock?

It's not the only the metal case, apperantely they also changed something inside (but DJI makes a big mysterium arround it). If you bought the super-package, you definitely got the old IMU.....and most propably the 2.4 Ghz Data link, which is worthless because it operates on the same frequency as your Remote Control: http://www.kopterworx.com/New-produ...-+-datalink-+-bluetooth-led-+-IOSD-II-+-50-WP
If you are lucky (and spent more money), you would have this combo with the 900 Mhz Data link: http://www.kopterworx.com/vmchk/DJI...-+-datalink-+-BL-led-+-IOSD-II-+-50-WP-900Mhz
To get the new IMU in the Alu housing, you have to trade it in: http://www.kopterworx.com/DJI-Acessories-/-Spares/WKM-IMU-V2-Trade-in-ON-STOCK.

.....and yes, th
ey dump old stock at the moment.

Lastly, I suppose one of the things that attracted me to the S800 was it's portability.
I thought it might arrive in a nice aluminium case, but I suppose I have to make it portable myself...

Don't be sad, that alu case is not really useful since you can only pack in the arms and the center frame, for the landing gear you need something else anyways....

LIPO power protection - I don't like the system on the Naza-M with my F550, so I might try your suggestion.
Do you then rely on the bright red LED warning light on that sensor device?

This little LiPo warner is loud as hell...so it's not only the LED which warns you. Set it to 3,4 V and you are fine. Apart from that I usually fly with a new bird under normal flight conditions for about 8 minutes with a fully charged pack and than charge it again. From what the charger tells me how much he charged in I can calculate a save flight-time. On the Remote Control I have a timer set to that flight time and get a warning....from than on I fly close to me and wait for the LiPo warner to scream.....If the LiPo warner screams first, I know it's time to land and to adjust my flight timer.

One more thing....for your first flights make sure you or some helper is filming your take-off and flying.....important to have evidence against DJI in case something goes wrong.

Good luck

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Chris - some more questions :)

I see you have a 2nd RX for your Zenmuse- I presume you have the first RX configured as a primary and the 2nd configured as a secondary? how did you get power to the 2nd one?
I have the same idea, using a T14SG TX and two R7008SB RXs. I just got the 2nd one yesterday and am wondering how to wire it.

Also, what RX/channel do you use for the rectractable legs? (In other words, how are your receivers set up!)

Cheers,
Louis

Zzr

Gimbal Controller Unit has power supply for 2nd RX. RLG channel to first RX.

I see you have a 2nd RX for your Zenmuse- I presume you have the first RX configured as a primary and the 2nd configured as a secondary? how did you get power to the 2nd one?
I have the same idea, using a T14SG TX and two R7008SB RXs. I just got the 2nd one yesterday and am wondering how to wire it.

Also, what RX/channel do you use for the rectractable legs? (In other words, how are your receivers set up!)

Cheers,
Louis

deluge2

Hi Louis

<Snip>

To get the new IMU in the Alu housing, you have to trade it in: http://www.kopterworx.com/DJI-Acessories-/-Spares/WKM-IMU-V2-Trade-in-ON-STOCK.

.....and yes, th
ey dump old stock at the moment.

Chris

Hi Chris,

First thanks again for your helpful tips, perspectives, and advice, despite your shall we say mixed experiences with DJI and their products.

As regards the WKM IMU v2, I've been told by an authorized dealer here in the US that it is no longer a trade-in item. I'm reasonably confident this is true since I received one for $240usd from them with no trade-in. This is fortunate since I'm still waiting on a pre-ordered EVO (but that's another story...).

Steve

ChrisViperM

Hi guys....sorry, didn't catch up

As for the IMU v2, I don't get the policy of DJI.....with every move they make with theyr "brilliant" marketing, they put off more and more customers.

Found a few places where they offer them for the "trade-in" price, on some it's mentioned about the trade-in, on some not....but it's not on stock in most places anyways :

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/wookong-m/367-wookong-imu-v2-upgrade.html (one of our members, great guy)

http://www.allerc.com/dji-wookong-m-imu-v2-p-8218.html?sess=9b1ee5445d38a7af252556c2abaa0a4e

http://www.espritmodel.com/dji-wookong-m-inertial-measurement-unit-imu-v2.aspx

http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/imuv2 (They are from Spain, but ship very fast world-wide)

http://www.electronicarc.com/catalo...=1052&osCsid=3f3d48e15d37d152f1dc5976be247e27 (stupid high price)

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/wookm-imu-v2-upgrade-exchange

http://www.rc-drones.com/DJI-Wookong-IMU-V2.php

As for the Zenmuse dual receiver set-up, there is a thread which leads to a lot of other threads covering this set-up:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ur-Futuba-T8FG-super&highlight=futaba+zenmuse

Cheers,
Louis

My second receiver (Zenmuse) is connected to the retracts via Channel 8, and that's how the receiver gets powered. As soon as you connect the retracts to the power, the receiver gets powered up as well......

Chris

cbpagent72

I received one for $240 from helicopter world without having to trade in my old imu. These things probably cost more to ship back to China than they are worth.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Zzr

Thanks for sharing. I recently ordered it. I live near helicopter world store.
I received one for $240 from helicopter world without having to trade in my old imu. These things probably cost more to ship back to China than they are worth.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2