Howdy from deep south Texas

HPL

Howdy!
Absolutely brand new to RC but have been a working photographer for 30+ years and find the possibilities here intriguing. Have been reading various sources for several weeks and am really happy to find this forum. I have a sim but it doesn't have multi-rotors, just planes and helicopters. Also just received a Walkera Ladybird and have been goofing around with it some (great fun, but a 10-15 sec flight is pretty good at the moment). Am looking at a DJI flamewheel 550 hex ARF. Have several questions, probably the main one being how rugged are the DJI flight controllers? Because my initial target platform needs to be able to carry a Sony Nex-7 and probably 24mm Carl Zeiss lens, and because of expansion possibilities, I am thinking about the Wookong M, but also realize that in the learning period, (before mounting camera) there is a fair possibility for crashes, I hate to by the wookong and then trash it the first time I make a mistake. I have already read the cautionary posts at the beginning and am wondering if an ARF kit would be an OK way to begin.

Thanks for your thoughts.

As an afterthought, are the instructions with most of this equipment as cryptic as what came with the Ladybird? Their instruction manual had apparently been translated by someone using a Chinese to English dictionary? They didn't have a good explanation of how to know when the TX had paired with the quad, and no instructions as to how to know when the battery was charged, no diagram explaining what the various switches on the TX do, etc. They should hire a native English speaker for the US market.