How To Shield GPS From Video Tx???

Dezy

I'm having difficulty getting GPS/satellite lock after installing video tx (5.8G 32ch 600 mW). So I tried wrapping the wires and covering the bottom of the DJI GPS puck with copper foil tape to try and shield them – which helped a little, but still hard to get 6 sats.

My next step is to form a tray out of copper sheet-metal to set the puck in.

Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions? I’ve tried to separate the GPS and tx, but am only flying a f550, so not the biggest layout.

Thanks,

Dezy

Nigel

I would also like to know the answers to your questions so please keep us up to date with any progress.

scotth

Have you tried different frequencies on the VTX? I remember once having issues whenever I tuned in a certain frequency on an aircraft receiver.. it blew away my Garmin GPS.. as in flatline. Guess there was some harmonic going on that it didn't like.

Dezy

Have you tried different frequencies on the VTX? I remember once having issues whenever I tuned in a certain frequency on an aircraft receiver.. it blew away my Garmin GPS.. as in flatline. Guess there was some harmonic going on that it didn't like.
Thanks, Scott!
I'll give that a try and report back.........

Dezy

OK - Some success. I tired another location for the GPS puck and attained sat. lock.
Right now its raining in California (very much needed), so I'll have to wait for a test flight, but I think the problem has been resolved.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I recently downgraded my 1000mw 1.3ghz vTX to a 400mw vTX and my GPS sat count went up to 12-13 in the air. It's also important (with my NAZA-M V2, at least) to physically separate the vTX and its antenna from the GPS puck. That's challenging on small copters, but on my big quad it was pretty easy to get them ~500mm apart.

Dezy

I recently downgraded my 1000mw 1.3ghz vTX to a 400mw vTX and my GPS sat count went up to 12-13 in the air. It's also important (with my NAZA-M V2, at least) to physically separate the vTX and its antenna from the GPS puck. That's challenging on small copters, but on my big quad it was pretty easy to get them ~500mm apart.
Yes, I moved the puck to the opposite side of the vTX, having the camera in the middle, and it seemed to do the trick.
Thanks