How to properly tighten props

JG-rn

Just received my f450 and I have a question about tightening the props. I'm using t-motors and graupner props. How tight do I tighten the nut that sits on top of the washer? And how tight do I tighten the cone nut that sits on top of the first nut?

Bella7821

Here's how I do it and have never once had an issue.
I have Graupners on the stock DJI F450 motors.
I use a toothpick and put a tiny dab of blue PASTE locktite inside the hub. That way there's no chance of it getting on the props. Then I hand tighten them and get the wrench and just make them a tad more then snugged.

I just changed my props the other night just because they already have almost 100 flights on them so I've never had a problem.

DennyR

It is important to ensure that the surface of the prop is flat and not distorted as some of the Graupners are, also make sure you have a slight chamfer around the hole so that it does not raise the driving surface. It should then be possible to tighten the nyloc nuts without all of the brute force of a back street garage mechanic to get a nice nip on the prop. Also ensure that the mating surfaces are dry and free from oil or grease.

Dewster

I have Avroto motors. The nut goes on top of the washer. You should replace the supplied nuts with "lock nuts" . They have a nylon disc in the metal thread that secures the nut. It's a combination of metal and plastic thread. The plastic will stop the vibration that causes nuts to come loose in flight.

This will solve the issue of how much torque you need to secure your prop. Most are just trying to keep their props from flying off during flight so they clamp down as much as they dare with risk of cracking the hub of a prop. They Nylock nuts will stay on. Just fit them snugly so that the prop is seated and doesn't freely spin under the washer.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I keep wrenching the nut down with a 1/2" ratchet until I just start to see the motor shaft twist about 1 full rotation. Any more than that and the aluminum hub will twist and break apart. If you use a torque wrench set it to 100ft. Pounds. Kidding of course. Nylocks are the answer.