How to know if motor shaft is not straight.

Pelted

So the big question is I can "see" anything off in the movement of the motors with or without props. Nothing feels strange when hand turning either. What methods does one use to figure out if a shaft is bent, or something else with the motor has gone all miss aligned?

I had a very minor bump against a wall the other day with my tricopter. The back end just went into a brick wall enough to break a prop, stop rotation, and cause the front end to go up and hit the wall on one side before I got the throttle off thus breaking another and chipping the third. I know, not quite so minor.

After checking everything over, and pulling off the broken props I ran the motors to look for anything odd before putting on new balanced props. Everything seemed fine but now I'm getting a bad yaw to the left when moving forward. The motor mounts are square, I stripped the frame apart and rebuilt to be sure there was nothing I was missing. The Talon Tricopter tail assembly is funky anyway, but it is behaving correctly too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pelted

I had a very minor love tap with a prop and solid object with one motor set. One of those motors does have a slight rough feel when hand turning, I swapped it out. On my tri with another motor set I had a crash that busted up some props. After looking everything over, replacing the props and flying I was getting bad drift, so I tore it down and rebuilt just to check everything. Hand turning and listening to the motos I can't hear or feel anything, but there is a wobble that you can just see at higher RPM, but I cant tell which moto is the cause. That's why I'm trying to learn how to diagnose this. The barring issue may very will be the problem with the first motor set.

I'm going to subscribe over at freefly, there seems to be some great info there.
Thanks