How to Create Amazing Panoramas with Your Drone

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Panoramic photography is a technique of stitching multiple photographs into a single large panoramic shot. This article covers the basics of panoramic drone photography, and offers a few helpful tips on camera settings, composition, stitching, and post processing.

This is an incredibly cool post on the homepage and discussion on the podcast. Thank you, Petr.

One thing that has always annoyed me about pano's is the fisheye lens look; the bending of the picture can take away from some incredible photography. So what if the camera was stationary and the drone is repositioned?

In the 3 images Petr posts, how much could the fish eye be minimized if the drone was repositioned a couple hundred yards in either direction of the launch site? This assumes the pilot stays at the launch site rather than relocating with the drone.

The result would require less camera rotation and enable more of a straight-on shot, but would it be enough to matter? Obviously, it would be easier to do this in the wild vs a cityscape, but would it look better than simply launching the drone and snapping several pictures from that one location?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Great point, @Nathan . The kind of panorama you create by moving the camera (drone) in space instead of just turning it is called a linear panorama (the ones in the article are spherical). The linear panos are great, but do not always work out as the perspective changes a little too much. Linear panos are actually used more for mapping. I am yet to experiment with them beyond that, but will share what I learned if anything good comes out of this. I also prefer the spherical panos as they are a great practice on the way to fully immersive 360 degree panoramas, so this is definitely not the last article about this subject.