How long to learn on small MR before upgrading?

I've been learning to fly on a Ominus FPV, the FPV is very rarely used and shouldn't have wasted the money on it. I want to step up to the Iris+. It seems nearly every few days of flying I need to either replace a motor(replaced 3) or a reduction gear(replaced 4). When flying around the house I will "buzz" the road (kind of like a MR version of a strafing run) and occasionally the MR will make contact to the ground. Normally I would say this isnt a big deal but this quad's motors are built into the landing gear(motors are below arm boom) and the motors/shafts get bent; after a few of these it's time to replace the motor. I dont see this kind of thing happening with motors mounted on top of the arm booms like in the Iris+ (or any other non-toy MR). What are your thoughts on this of moving up to the Iris+, how many flight hours should one collect before upgrading?

Or would it be better to get very basic MR like this 450 or this one and a fairly basic (read INEXPENSIVE) radio/receiver combo, need a recommendation can be new or used. Again I think this unit will be crashed a lot but Im getting tired of replacing the motors in the Ominus. I know, I know, I know I need to work on not crashing that's the easiest fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyPG

In answer to your thread title question, I think you'd be ready to go full size once you can do the following;

1. Hover the quad competently with it facing you.
2. Competently fly true figure of 8 circuits mixing rudder with the aileron and elevator functions.

If you can do these, I think you will have a better time with say a 450.

Andy.