How good is Naze32 Altitude hold?

wlance007

Hey everyone,
As the title says, how good is the Naze32 altitude hold? Will it be able to hold my quad pretty rock solid like DJI phantoms or will there always be some amount of fluctuation up and down?

I ask because I got a quad kit off amazon and that included a CC3D controller. That worked fine but being a new pilot, I crashed it a lot and had trouble keeping it at a constant altitude. I read that the Naze32 has altitude hold capabilities and thought that would be good training wheels to use while I got use to flying the quad while it was not facing the same direction as me. However, when I switched to the Naze32 the quad would wobble like not having properly tuned PIDs and the altitude hold was all over the place. I could be more detailed in another forum post, but I want to know if it is worth the trouble of trying to deal with this or if I should just go back to my CC3D and just practice with it.

Thanks

jamesb72

Altitude hold uses barometer so will never be very accurate especially die to turbulence around quad. Phantom 3/4 use ultrasonic sensors so are much more accurate holding height under 30ft and above that barometer is good enough.

For miniquad imho you should not use altitude hold and just practice throttle control- if you stick with it it will just click and you'll be away.

For ap stuff altitude hold is good enough if your at 50ft then a few ft drifting up and down won't be noticeable on camera anyway just avoid low level stuff.