How do you keep your IMU at temperature when it's freezing?

Sebas600

How do you keep your IMU at temperature when it's freezing?

Show/tell us your fix for the problem but also show/tell things that didn't work for you.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I just fly it. So far the coldest I've flown a WKM in was around 20 to 22 degrees F and I couldn't see any difference in the way it flew vs warmer weather. I think the IMU makes enough heat internally that it has to be really cold before it starts doing odd things due to temperature. I worry more about the decrease in the batteries due to the cold than I do the effect it has on the controller. Only F/C's I've had issues with in the cold are KK where the gyros drift badly as they heat up and the Hoverfly Pro that just did weird things in cold weather... and warm weather, and in between weather... ummm, maybe it wasn't just the temperature in that case ;)

Ken

lperagallo

hobby-drones.com
The issue with temperature has to do with large swings in temps. If you take your craft from a warm environment into a cold environment (or opposite way) you can have control issue. You can usually tell you will have a problem when lifting off as it will not be very stable. I have found that I need to let the craft sit outside 15 minutes in a swing of 30 degrees F.

I also agree with Ken that battery capacity can be an issue if you don't keep the batteries warm. I keep them on the floor of my car by the heater output and leave them there until I use them. Once you start drawing power they heat up fine.

Lou