How Do You Avoid Sparking During Battery Connection

tombrown1

Haven't seen any mention of Anderson PowerPoles yet. I'm thinking of switching to them this winter - people rave about them because it's a mechanical and not solder connection. Say it's more reliable.

Ronan

Haven't seen any mention of Anderson PowerPoles yet. I'm thinking of switching to them this winter - people rave about them because it's a mechanical and not solder connection. Say it's more reliable.

Meh you will find the other group saying solder is better because mechanical can fail too.

iv learned people simply have preferences. Most seem to go with XT60 or XT90. Now you can go with XT-90 spark proof too!

Old Man

Nothing wrong with Anderson's I've been using them for various power supply connectors for a good many years but they won't have any preventative impact on first connection sparking. There is a down side in their bulk since they are a bit longer than many of the connectors that are used for electric modeling. One thing that should be noted is Anderson's are made in several different amp ratings and one should determine the max current they anticipate the connector to handle and review manufacturer data to assure they select a connector that is rated accordingly. They also use their own special crimping tool and those are not cheap.

SJBrit

Does anyone know a good place in the US to get the Jeti anti-spark bullets?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amerly

Hey guys,

Just installed this device on one of my Copters : Herkules III AntiBlitz v1 - 6S LiPo 2.0

Works like a charm ! I use standard servo connector lead soldered to one of my main EC5's since I just use it for initial anti-spark connection and remove it all before flight... Thanks Andreas ! :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• anti-spark.jpg
    anti-spark.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 12.55.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 12.55.47 PM.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 332

Ronan

If that part fails, does it mean no more power to the multirotor? That's something that's always bothered me.

I use AS150 and XT 150 connectors. Just purchased OEM one's and installed them on everything. Works great.

Amerly

Ronan, If your talking about the Herkules Anti-blitz no... You use it to ''pre-power'' your setup in a gentle spark-free way (gentle on the electronics, capacitors and all)... You can leave it hooked for flight if you want but i don't... I see it as a jumping cable kit, you don't need to fly with it :) Mine came with a servo lead so I just used a servo extension to weld to my main bat wires...

If your talking about the Jeti anti spark I don't see it failing anywere soon... It's a massive bullet connector (if you use the 150A or 300A at least) that is pretty fu**in tight ! The only ''fragile'' part is the ceramic on top of it... Even is you broke this part you would still have that massive connector undisturbed... The only tricky part about this one is the ''UnsolderOnePartWhileSolderingTheOtherOne''... Took me a few time to get it on... Best is to unsolder the ceramic first and then resolder it at the end... I'm sure some would have the perfect technique to do it the first time but theses big wire and connectors do need some time and heat to suck that welding right... Better get this part right and then resolder the ceramic anti-spark in place...

Good luck !

If that part fails, does it mean no more power to the multirotor? That's something that's always bothered me.

I use AS150 and XT 150 connectors. Just purchased OEM one's and installed them on everything. Works great.

Working thru on the basis of what the newest DJI S900 and S1000 are using and also some of the new batteries that are coming out of Asia specifically for the larger DJI Multirotors:
There are two sizes/types of connectors being used, i.e., the AX150 and the XT150.
DJI uses the black XT-150 for negative connections and the red AX150 for the positive connection.
The positive connection has the built-in 5.5 ohm resistor in the ringed conductor tip.
Both types are manufactured by AMASS and you can buy both directly from them thru eBay etc.
Because the AX is larger than the XT connector there is less chance of connecting anything incorrectly.

Because the resistor tip is built in to the positive connector, it seems best to connect the positive connector last, but only in this case with AX150 on the positive side.
For those who want to remain with 100% XT type connectors, do as Bartman suggests, connect the positive connector first......

BTW - the red and black leads are from the battery as supplied by the manufacturer specifically for DJI.

View attachment 20826

Attachments

• AX-150 and XT-150.jpg
    AX-150 and XT-150.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 363
Last edited by a moderator:

Is that loud crack you hear when connecting the batteries really your friend? Maybe..... maybe not.
Here is what happens inside of microprocessors as a result of inadequate surge protection between your residential service and your PC.
Voltage spikes can momentarily reach thousands of volts when they hit the front end of a processor. This results in tiny hole punctures in the semi-conductors and/or conductive traces. Over time these add up and increase the internal resistance of the microprocessor resulting in more heat and eventually a thermal runaway. This photo is just the consequence of ESD - electrostatic discharge. View attachment 20827

Attachments

• esd.jpg
    esd.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 258

SJBrit

OK, I don't understand. I use XT90 connectors and I just put a Jeti bullet connector with the resistor inline in the positive lead and I'm still getting a hefty spark when I make the connection. Did I do something wrong? Just to be clear, the connection I'm making is the XT90 connection.

Ronan

OK, I don't understand. I use XT90 connectors and I just put a Jeti bullet connector with the resistor inline in the positive lead and I'm still getting a hefty spark when I make the connection. Did I do something wrong? Just to be clear, the connection I'm making is the XT90 connection.

If you are connecting a regular XT-90, it will spark. You need to connect a XT-90S (anti-spark) or what DJI is doing, AS150 and XT150 (connect the black first and then the red).

No more spark :)

SJBrit

If you are connecting a regular XT-90, it will spark. You need to connect a XT-90S (anti-spark) or what DJI is doing, AS150 and XT150 (connect the black first and then the red).

No more spark :)

I guess I thought the inline Jeti anti-spark bullet would arrest the spark.

Ronan

It's installed on the red (positive) wire? I would think it would reduce the spark since it can be installed inline...

Honestly i fitted XT150/AS150 on everything. Works great, no sparks, solid connector.

SJBrit

It's installed on the red (positive) wire? I would think it would reduce the spark since it can be installed inline...

Honestly i fitted XT150/AS150 on everything. Works great, no sparks, solid connector.

Yeah - it's in the positive line. I must say, I'm a bit miffed, but I'm also getting tired of how difficult it is to pull the XT90s apart. Maybe I'll just change everything up.

Ronan

Yeah - it's in the positive line. I must say, I'm a bit miffed, but I'm also getting tired of how difficult it is to pull the XT90s apart. Maybe I'll just change everything up.

What are you flying? If it's big (like 800mm+) switch to what DJI is using. Honestly i took an afternoon to change everything to a AS150/XT150 setup... and since then... just brilliant!

Just make sure to heat up those large brass connectors enough to get a good/solid solder! I use a butane soldering iron, with the torch tip for those. Works great, $20 at Radio Shack.

SJBrit

What are you flying? If it's big (like 800mm+) switch to what DJI is using. Honestly i took an afternoon to change everything to a AS150/XT150 setup... and since then... just brilliant!

Just make sure to heat up those large brass connectors enough to get a good/solid solder! I use a butane soldering iron, with the torch tip for those. Works great, $20 at Radio Shack.

Tarot 650. I run two configurations, one at 6S and one at 4S. I get a decent spark with both but the 6S setup is obviously worse. I do like the idea of going to bullets - much easier to pull apart when you can twist them. Got a good source for the AS150/XT150 connectors in the US? Changing them over is not that big a deal - I have some other soldering to do in any case.

Ronan

Tarot 650. I run two configurations, one at 6S and one at 4S. I get a decent spark with both but the 6S setup is obviously worse. I do like the idea of going to bullets - much easier to pull apart when you can twist them. Got a good source for the AS150/XT150 connectors in the US? Changing them over is not that big a deal - I have some other soldering to do in any case.

Try 1UAS, or eBay (check it ships from US).