How Do We Fix Stupid?

Old Man

The point of my original post relates to how and in what manner people are made aware of their responsibilities when flying multirotors. Although DJI does seem to be the brand that has an extremely high number of flyaways, which is in and of itself deplorable, it's the users that set the stage for eventual disaster. "Buy and Fly" has enabled any and everyone that has open credit on their plastic or a few extra bucks in their pocket to become an instant "aerial cinematographer". No lessons, kit document advisories, published warnings, or user qualifiers to establish some level of responsibility and ability. How is "judgement" established before letting this stuff go out the seller's door? There were times when I was teaching full scale flight that I found the judgement calls made by a student so bad that I grounded them and wrote in their log books the student lacked the ability to use good judgement. Sooner or later someone has got to determine that some level of maturity is required before people are permitted to buy and fly these things.

In the video where the woman is cut on the arm the user accepted full liability for his actions by posting the video. I thought posting that one was both stupid, because it clearly puts us all in a bad light, and a little brave because he somewhat admits his problem. Unfortunately he missed everything about why the flyaway became the danger it was, which was his decision to fly over a residential neighborhood without any thought to the safety of others. Another post in this thread saw the same thing I did and noted how much worse it could have been had the copter self launched. Had that group of little kids been stooping down around the copter and looking at it there would have been some kids seriously injured with a face full of propellers. In the freeway video the odds of causing a massive traffic accident, and perhaps deaths, were very high. In both videos the users could be prosecuted for careless and reckless operation. In the first the user could have negligence added to the list.

Ultimately it comes down to thoughtless selfishness. Too many seem to think it's all about them and whatever satisfaction they can get from a few "likes" on YouTube. We need a standard for safe operations and it needs to be proclaimed loud and clear to all that sell and buy this stuff. I can see a day coming where every flight controller is registered in some data base at the point of sale to track it back to the buyer in order to assign liability. All because of people that think like the ones in the videos.

We have a truly caring and responsible group of people in this forum, unlike the "other" forum where very little is mentioned about safe flying practices. The personal differences noted in the some of the previous replies aside, you guys rock. How do we get the way ya'll think to get planted and grow in the minds of the casual buyer/user?

navycut81

:):)
The point of my original post relates to how and in what manner people are made aware of their responsibilities when flying multirotors. Although DJI does seem to be the brand that has an extremely high number of flyaways, which is in and of itself deplorable, it's the users that set the stage for eventual disaster. "Buy and Fly" has enabled any and everyone that has open credit on their plastic or a few extra bucks in their pocket to become an instant "aerial cinematographer". No lessons, kit document advisories, published warnings, or user qualifiers to establish some level of responsibility and ability. How is "judgement" established before letting this stuff go out the seller's door? There were times when I was teaching full scale flight that I found the judgement calls made by a student so bad that I grounded them and wrote in their log books the student lacked the ability to use good judgement. Sooner or later someone has got to determine that some level of maturity is required before people are permitted to buy and fly these things.

In the video where the woman is cut on the arm the user accepted full liability for his actions by posting the video. I thought posting that one was both stupid, because it clearly puts us all in a bad light, and a little brave because he somewhat admits his problem. Unfortunately he missed everything about why the flyaway became the danger it was, which was his decision to fly over a residential neighborhood without any thought to the safety of others. Another post in this thread saw the same thing I did and noted how much worse it could have been had the copter self launched. Had that group of little kids been stooping down around the copter and looking at it there would have been some kids seriously injured with a face full of propellers. In the freeway video the odds of causing a massive traffic accident, and perhaps deaths, were very high. In both videos the users could be prosecuted for careless and reckless operation. In the first the user could have negligence added to the list.

Ultimately it comes down to thoughtless selfishness. Too many seem to think it's all about them and whatever satisfaction they can get from a few "likes" on YouTube. We need a standard for safe operations and it needs to be proclaimed loud and clear to all that sell and buy this stuff. I can see a day coming where every flight controller is registered in some data base at the point of sale to track it back to the buyer in order to assign liability. All because of people that think like the ones in the videos.

We have a truly caring and responsible group of people in this forum, unlike the "other" forum where very little is mentioned about safe flying practices. The personal differences noted in the some of the previous replies aside, you guys rock. How do we get the way ya'll think to get planted and grow in the minds of the casual buyer/user?

Very well written, true and straight to the point Old Man your wise beyond your years :)

FerdinandK

All you do is, you draw the attention of people to these videos, whatever you think of them, there will be others inspired by them and new videos will come (just because you watches, discussed and shared one of these videos).

DO NOT WATCH, SHARE, QUOTE, DISCUSS,... SUCH VIDEOS. If there is no attention for them, people will stop (but they will go for other foolish thing to get back the attention). As long as they got your attention they will continue.

Whatever you plan with this discussion you will achieve the opposite.

Rules will apply for those who respect the rules, but not for the ones who ignored them up to now.

best regards
Ferdinand

cootertwo

Sorry, but I still don't understand all this who-ha. "Multirotors" got named "Drones" by the media. So everyone thinks of death and destruction. "Multirotors" allow people to fly in their yards, in their homes, work places, up and down the street, around and around, "mostly" with no problems. Now how many RC airplanes go out of control, and hit the ground, usually with great force. Nothing said? Because they are usually at an open field, flying club, etc. etc. "BUT" they too "flyaway", some never to be seen again. Anyone remember "FREE FLIGHT"? And the RC planes, helicopters, cars, trucks, etc. etc. have been around a looooong time! To me, anyhow, this is all just a new fad, like the hula-hoop. Yes, I'm that old. It may take awhile, but I think the idiots will eliminate themselves. Too many that crash, and have no idea why, will be reluctant to rebuild and try again, and again.The idiot that crashed onto the free way, will probably think before he tries it again, "IF" he try's it again. Even the cheapest Phantom can make a dent in someones pocket book. Especially with a $300/$400 GoPro strapped to the bottom. If I had a nickle for every plank I drilled into the ground, I would have enough to go buy a Phantom! I just got a new Iris+, and love it. I've taken it out to the street in front of my home, gone straight up, couple of slow yaws for some neat video, then down. I'm dying to try some autonomous stuff, but ain't about to let this $1300.00 rig fly off on it's own, until I go to a BIG open space, so I can keep an eye on it, and be able to retrieve it, if/when something goes wrong. Then again, if someone just has more money than sense, they should probably have enough for lawyers, fines, law suits and bail money. Just my 2 cents worth.

Y0urDaddy

There is no real way to prevent dumb. People do dumb things with cars, dumb things with motorcycles, dumb things with boats, ect. Flying a multi-rotor over a freeway would never even pop in to my mind, but we don't control what others think or do.

I think we just need to be the ones who show how you should operate a multi-rotor and encourage others to learn and do the same if they are interested in flying as well.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Fixing stupid goes WAY beyond flying helicopters. We have too much to change in too short a period of time. It's not possible to fix stupid. We are stupid, all of us. The worst part about humans is that we know when we are doing something wrong and we generally know the answers as to how to avoid it. But we are an impulsive species. Just look at how many people talk/text while driving...point made. Why does it take a cop to not drive 75 in a 35?

The best answers to the drone problems also happen t be the answers to a lot of other issues we have, put a huge import tax on anything from China. And it might not be a bad idea to make it illegal to sell a RTF drone that is anything bigger than a ladybird. If you can;t safely smack the thing into your little brother's face then it should require a permit to fly! there are too many people in this world to just allow every impulsive jackhole to go out and buy a $500 flying set of knives. I could care less about privacy rights, that's where I dont agree with anyone. none of us are really interested in spying on people. Of course there will be someone tryging to look over their fence but I am guessing that's not anywhere the issue as it is having millions of phantom phuckers putting full scale aircraft at risk and littering the skies with more china garbage. It's got to the point where you can often see another phantom in the far distance of people's phantom videos they post. That's just too many!

but go ahead, ask me how i really feel.

:)

Dylan M

Which Switch...
ron-white-meme-generator-you-can-t-fix-stupid-04d340.jpg