How could this happen HOW?????

38super

I just had a QAV 400 built by GETFPV.com I was having what I thought was a handling problem and I let them know it. . Seemed it would not hold position in GPS mode very well but then thought it was just a change from a F450 I was use to flying. To make this short and sweet. I was up about 100 feet when I lost almost all control of quad. Was not far from me at all . I could go up and down and that was it . What a bad feeling waiting for batt to die . I tried shooting up and come down fast to see if I could get some forward speed ,no luck... came down through the trees which resulted in little damage. Has DJI M2 controller, Spectrum DX9 radio and Spectrum AR8000 receiver. I got in touch with GETFPV and were not much help even after telling them not much damage they just said too bad did not want to hear about it……This is a $$$ quad .
Now when I get it back in shape how do I know it won't do it again I have FPV camera I was going to install but going to do a lot of flying first.
GETFPV told me it most likely was a radio problem . I have two other quads a two helis on this radio NO PROBLEMS
They should have said send it back and let us check it out Ya right….. told me they tested it and was 100% What for 5 mins
Anyone ever hear of something like this ?
Thanks Will
Oh one other question. I have a DJI, PMU on board. which has my GPS plugged into it. There's a flashing green light blinking all the time
when I remove the GPS it turns red . I asked GETFPV what is was two times with no response. Does anyone know what this green led is telling me….Thanks again

Hey super... Sorry about that, and I can understand the frustration.

Which DJI product do you have on it? That i know of, there isn't an "M2" controller. There's an "A2" and a"Naza-M V2". I'm guessing Naza, but just want to confirm.

Also, have you plugged it in to your computer to ensure all controls are working properly? And what errors is the Assistant Software telling you (if any)? Be sure to check with the assis SW all controls and switches.

Also, do you have this same behavior in all three operating modes? GPS, Attitude, and Manual?

As for the flashing green, have you read the manual yet to see which of the flashing more closely matches what you are seeing? If its a slow green flash (like one every 2 seconds), that's normal as it is indicating you have it in GPS mode. Then when you disconnect the GPS it would switch to bursts of three red flashes, again normal for GPS mode without GPS signal.

Compare your flashing to the manual and let us know. We'll help ya best we can.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Nearly all flight issues, fly aways or what ever, always seem to be a spectrum radio involved. Maybe it is just me, but people seem to have a lot of problems with them. Not bashing your gear, just an observation if you will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Don't these newer dji have that box area they fly inside now, to stop it flying to far away or to high? Maybe you set it to less then what would be desired.

38super

Hi. Thanks for the response. I should have been more clear.It's a naza -M- V2 controller. This is first time of even a hint of trouble . I also have the naza M v2 in another quad and never had a problem . The flashing green light is not from the Naza controller LED . It's on the small Power management unit (PMU). The naza LED is fine . In my set up GPS is plugged into the PMU and that is what is flashing green . When ever I mention this most think it's the main naza led . It's not it's the PMU. and that is my question . What does that green light signify. I set up in assistant software before flight and all was fine . I checked it out after crash again looked fine. Spectrum radios are no better or worse from any other brand all have some sort of problem . Been using them for long time and never had an issue. I will fix it up and give it a go but this crash will be on my mind because I have no idea what caused it
Thanks Will

Hi 38super. Thanks for the clarification. With the new info I don't know how I can help. Since your dealer is unwilling to help, I might suggest contacting one of the better DJI dealers like IntelligentUAS, Aerial Media Pros, or UAV Products.

BTW, I want to apologize for my earlier post where I mistakenly typed, "I can't understand the frustration". I mean to say "I CAN understand your frustration." (I corrected the earlier post.)

Rainman

Nearly all flight issues, fly aways or what ever, always seem to be a spectrum radio involved. Maybe it is just me, but people seem to have a lot of problems with them. Not bashing your gear, just an observation if you will.

I don't fly my multirotors with Spektrum gear. All my high-end models - jets, helis and multirotors - all use JR gear as I simply don't trust Spektrum. I purely use Spektrum for foamies, etc. I've experienced too many lock-outs and near misses with Spektrum crap. I currently fly JR but I'm considering a move to Fat Tuba, dunno yet. From my experiences of Fat Tuba on 35Mhz I'm extremely hesitant but it occurs to me that Fat Tuba is where the innovation is these days and JR just seem to be playing catchup.

But going back to your observation Deanot, I'm with you on that assertion. I wouldn't hang anything costing more than $200 on a Spektrum sky hook. Just way too unreliable and too many Chinese copies of Spektum gear around.

Rainman

Spectrum radios are no better or worse from any other brand all have some sort of problem . Been using them for long time and never had an issue.

Sorry dude, but from my own direct experience I know that is just not true. I've been flying for getting close to 14 years and I started out with Futaba FF6 and then FF9 on 35Mhz. They were incredibly unreliable and I lost more than a couple of models to unexplained glitches and lockouts. When I started flying .90 size helis and gas turbines here in the UK I noticed that the radio of choice was undeniably JR and I transitioned everything to that brand and all the weird things I experienced with Futaba just disappeared overnight.

Time and technology has moved on a lot since then with Spektrum being the main player in the early days of 2.4Ghz pretty much everyone I know that flies the diversity of stuff I fly has a model of some kind using Spektrum gear and either owns a cheap Spektrum TX or an old TX from another brand with a Spektrum module in it and if you own anything by E-Flight or Parkzone then you can't get away from it.

I attend a lot of national jet events in the UK and when I'm there with my other jet pals we reach for the popcorn when we see a Spektrum installation take to the air, because the odds are that a drama is about to unfold. Spektrum has it's place in my hobby, but it's not in any of my prized models and definitely not in my multirotors.

soler

I suspect this is a NAZA issue reaching the out of bounds position, what happens is that you reach the horizontal out of bounds and you only have control over throttle and yaw, all other controls seam to be disabled? Does this sound about right?

I know that DJI real eased a new firm are to fix this but I am not sure if this has fully addressed this or not. For now disable the out of bound or set them higher than you expect to fly.

I just had a QAV 400 built by GETFPV.com I was having what I thought was a handling problem and I let them know it. . Seemed it would not hold position in GPS mode very well but then thought it was just a change from a F450 I was use to flying. To make this short and sweet. I was up about 100 feet when I lost almost all control of quad. Was not far from me at all . I could go up and down and that was it . What a bad feeling waiting for batt to die . I tried shooting up and come down fast to see if I could get some forward speed ,no luck... came down through the trees which resulted in little damage. Has DJI M2 controller, Spectrum DX9 radio and Spectrum AR8000 receiver. I got in touch with GETFPV and were not much help even after telling them not much damage they just said too bad did not want to hear about it……This is a $$$ quad .
Now when I get it back in shape how do I know it won't do it again I have FPV camera I was going to install but going to do a lot of flying first.
GETFPV told me it most likely was a radio problem . I have two other quads a two helis on this radio NO PROBLEMS
They should have said send it back and let us check it out Ya right….. told me they tested it and was 100% What for 5 mins
Anyone ever hear of something like this ?
Thanks Will
Oh one other question. I have a DJI, PMU on board. which has my GPS plugged into it. There's a flashing green light blinking all the time
when I remove the GPS it turns red . I asked GETFPV what is was two times with no response. Does anyone know what this green led is telling me….Thanks again

38super

I suspect this is a NAZA issue reaching the out of bounds position, what happens is that you reach the horizontal out of bounds and you only have control over throttle and yaw, all other controls seam to be disabled? Does this sound about right?

I know that DJI real eased a new firm are to fix this but I am not sure if this has fully addressed this or not. For now disable the out of bound or set them higher than you expect to fly.

Man you could be right! That's what happened I have to look at what I set it at in Assistant… I know if you set for 100 meters for hight it would just stop ,that I know for sure . If you want to come down you just ease of the stick but boundary may be a different story. If you set it for 100 meters out are you saying at that point that's it ,no control? . If true
I think there would be a lot of discussion about it and Naza would surely have to fix it somehow in firmware update. As far a Spectrum goes I thought it was just a cheaper JR. I just bought the dx 9 and am very happy with it but then again what really caused my crash. Just out of curiosity what's the most popular radio going at this time?

Glad to see that you might be narrowing down the root cause.
As for transmitter, I could be wrong, but it seems like the Futaba 8FG is a very popular one for mid-price-range but packed with features.

soler

Man you could be right! That's what happened I have to look at what I set it at in Assistant… I know if you set for 100 meters for hight it would just stop ,that I know for sure . If you want to come down you just ease of the stick but boundary may be a different story. If you set it for 100 meters out are you saying at that point that's it ,no control? . If true
I think there would be a lot of discussion about it and Naza would surely have to fix it somehow in firmware update. As far a Spectrum goes I thought it was just a cheaper JR. I just bought the dx 9 and am very happy with it but then again what really caused my crash. Just out of curiosity what's the most popular radio going at this time?

Yes this seam to be the case that on the boundary limit it only has throttle and yaw control. There are a few youtube clips about it to compare with what happened to your machine.