Hoverfly HoverflyPRO at 6s 22.2V batteries

DCDK

Does someone, who is using the HoverflyPRO, know how to attach it to 6s (22.2V) batteries? The specs say that it can't handle more than 17v, but if I power it using a 6v UBEC, I'll loose the voltage information.

Could I just use diods to lower the battery voltage about 6v and add a + 6v correction in the Hoverfly battery voltage adjustment tool?

Any ideas?

Also... does someone know how much power the HoverflyPRO board needs?

Cheers
David

Photronix

Pilot
Ok first you need to power it with 7V from a BEC but yes you will loose battery sensing.

We recommend that you stay below 17V because the regulators on the PRO will get warm beyond this. However it can handle 6s (25.2V fully charged) but you will need to add a small heat sink on top of the regulators. You must be careful not to short the capacitors on either side. You can try this and measure the temperature. Make sure you are below 60C. HOWEVER, our spec is 17V so you are on your own with this modification. Several other users are doing this without a problem.

DCDK

Ok first you need to power it with 7V from a BEC but yes you will loose battery sensing.

We recommend that you stay below 17V because the regulators on the PRO will get warm beyond this. However it can handle 6s (25.2V fully charged) but you will need to add a small heat sink on top of the regulators. You must be careful not to short the capacitors on either side. You can try this and measure the temperature. Make sure you are below 60C. HOWEVER, our spec is 17V so you are on your own with this modification. Several other users are doing this without a problem.

Thank you for the quick answer!

Cheers
David

Is this possible on the green board too? is it possible to point out the regs on a diagram?
will thermal glue/paste be fine for attaching the heatsink?
thanks