Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

jimbril

Thanks for the feedback. Will be waiting for Dan's comments on this as you said. Any chance you could share some raw test footage with GGoodman's gimbal running on your latest firmware?

Best Regards,

Jim.

I'll ask Dan, the lead engineer on this, to comment. I am fairly confident that it has been resolved. GGoodman was having some major issues with his gimbal but as I understand he is now very happy with the performance. He sent us one of his gimbals to test with and Dan demonstrated it to me. Very nice gimbal and the performance with the HFG is very good.

I would like to buy a Radian to test with but.....sheesh they are kind of expensive. The design of the Radian with separate sensors for each axis takes the load off the software development. The downside is it works great with the Cinestar gimbal but it will be difficult to mount it to all gimbal models. I feel that is a major advantage of the HFG. It was designed to work with any gimbal design but that makes our (I mean Dan's) job a great deal harder on the software side. He has done a phenomenal job on this product.

Jack

I have just installed the HFG and this stick centering is creating a problem for me. I need the full stick movement to cater from 180 to 90 degrees. So at bottom the camera should point straight ahead and at full stick forward it should point 90 degrees down. At center stick, when I switch on the camera moves to 45 degrees. How do I get around this?
Any suggestions?

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
There are 2 ways in which the HoverflyGIMBAL limits the travel of your camera mount. The first is in the form of the Minimum / Maximum Pulse Width (Configuration & Calibration -> Servo Configuration) for each channel. The second is the Max Deflection parameter (Configuration & Calibration -> Receiver Configuration -> Current Angle -> Set Range) for each channel.

The level position of the servo is set with the Center Point (Configuration & Calibration -> Servo Configuration)

If this doesn't help, I'll need you to describe the problem in more detail.

Are you trying to use Angle Velocity or Angle Position mode?
I get that it's not going as far as you want, but what exactly is happening?

I have just installed the HFG and this stick centering is creating a problem for me. I need the full stick movement to cater from 180 to 90 degrees. So at bottom the camera should point straight ahead and at full stick forward it should point 90 degrees down. At center stick, when I switch on the camera moves to 45 degrees. How do I get around this?
Any suggestions?

Jack

I know the minimum and maximum pulse is from 1.0000 to 2.0000. So centerpoint typically will be around 1.5000. Now when the mount is level i.e camera pointing straight ahead, I want my stick at bottom position. When stick is fully forward, I want the camera to point straight down. Initializing the HFG at center stick, causes the camera to point at 45 degrees. If I initialize it any other way, stick bottom or stick fully forward, I don't get full travel.
The problem is the HFG does not store the stick position in memory..
There are other issues also cropping up, but i would like a solution to this one first..
Thanks

I know the minimum and maximum pulse is from 1.0000 to 2.0000. So centerpoint typically will be around 1.5000. Now when the mount is level i.e camera pointing straight ahead, I want my stick at bottom position. When stick is fully forward, I want the camera to point straight down. Initializing the HFG at center stick, causes the camera to point at 45 degrees. If I initialize it any other way, stick bottom or stick fully forward, I don't get full travel.
The problem is the HFG does not store the stick position in memory..
There are other issues also cropping up, but i would like a solution to this one first..
Thanks

I have had the same issue (and question) from day one and was never able to get it resolved. I will be interested to hear if HF or anyone else has a solution to this as many others ask this question on a pretty regular basis. Unfortunately I have yet to hear about a solution. All I wanted was 90 degrees of movement: camera pointing straight ahead and then the ability to pitch straight down. I still can't do it so please let us know if you ever get to the bottom of this. When I was still trying to use the HFG I just had to get used to dealing with approximately 45 degrees of movement.

Last edited by a moderator:

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Guys,
Fill out a support ticket here: http://hoverflytech.zendesk.com so we can help you more effectively. I can tell you with some confidence that this is a configuration issue on your gimbal and not a firmware bug. It just needs to be setup properly. We have many gimbals which go from straight ahead to vertical without a problem. It's all in how you configure the ranges!

I have had the same issue (and question) from day one and was never able to get it resolved. I will be interested to hear if HF or anyone else has a solution to this as many others ask this question on a pretty regular basis. Unfortunately I have yet to hear about a solution. All I wanted was 90 degrees of movement: camera pointing straight ahead and then the ability to pitch straight down. I still can't do it so please let us know if you ever get to the bottom of this. When I was still trying to use the HFG I just had to get used to dealing with approximately 45 degrees of movement.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm pretty damn sure my HF gimbal does this fine. I actually think mine is level sticks at level camera and it points down almost 90 deg when full forward and up a little with back stick. I'll have to double check. I know I would be bitching too if it didnt which is why i think it does a full 90 or more.

I'm pretty damn sure my HF gimbal does this fine. I actually think mine is level sticks at level camera and it points down almost 90 deg when full forward and up a little with back stick. I'll have to double check. I know I would be bitching too if it didnt which is why i think it does a full 90 or more.

Yuri: Have you tried 1.8 for HFG and has it helped any, and if so in what ways? I was one of those guys who was stuck at V 1.03 because none of the subsequent updates helped although my shielded box did fix most of the issues I was having (bad horizon, etc.). I still get a slightly jerky movement from the the HFG and gimbal and I would like to try one more time to sort this out. Any thoughts on this that you can share? I'm using an AV200 by the way. Merry Christmas.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have not updated any firmware since I got it. It worked well enough there was no need to change. Same with the pro board I am still on the older firmware. It has been obvious watching firmware results over the years that no one can get things perfect the first time. These things are apparently so sensitive to any change in climate, geography, magnetic interference, rfi, vibrations, configurations, etc. that I just don't chose to take any risks. 4.802 works so incredibly well it would be silly go update unless it made my GPS lock onto a tighter radius than 40'. I'll let you guys do the testing. :)

elossam

I´m testingf the 1.8 rev 1 firm. Some questions I saw.
The first one is I still need to click twice on the connecting button as the first time it shows "unable to detect device".
Then, on the general page it shows Hardware version: Gimbal 1.0 (the unit is a V3 but may be that has no importance).
I was able to make the gyro and acc. calibration, play with the gains, set the servo values... but sometimes the yaw chanel didn´t work in self stabilization. I works for stick imputs but not for auto compensation (even having it enabled). When that happens I cant see the graphics in the PID option of this channel (yaw) the screen was crossed with two red lines and a windows advised me about an unhandled exception in the aplication (Axis Objet - Auto interval does not have proper value. And a click on the details shows at the end this sentences: ************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

After that I can see the PID values, which are set as they come from factory but cant do it work, and the the diagnosis label all values becomes freeze and the Setu program goes slower until it hangs.

View attachment 8403

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 302

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Really the major change in 4.6 is altitude hold that does +-1ft in good conditions. Even with 4.3.802, you should easily get gps hold of <10' in good weather conditions. I know with just basic setup, all of our rigs do that. Only with a strong wind have I seen larger radius GPS hold. There are a few things I am trying which might help correct this.

The only time I have seen a larger GPS hold radius it was due to the following
1. Magnetic interference (use external compass)
2. Bad GPS antenna
3. Incorrectly setup autoleveling trim

I have not updated any firmware since I got it. It worked well enough there was no need to change. Same with the pro board I am still on the older firmware. It has been obvious watching firmware results over the years that no one can get things perfect the first time. These things are apparently so sensitive to any change in climate, geography, magnetic interference, rfi, vibrations, configurations, etc. that I just don't chose to take any risks. 4.802 works so incredibly well it would be silly go update unless it made my GPS lock onto a tighter radius than 40'. I'll let you guys do the testing. :)

Jack

ok. I have a workaround. I have put in two switched UBECs. I use one to power the HFG + Rx and the other to power the pitch and roll servos. Had to cut the servo wires so that only the signal wire goes to the HBF. So now i switch on the first UBEC with stick in the center and HBF initializes. Then get stick to bottom and switch on the 2nd UBEC. Bingo... Camera leveled and full range of travel. Though it's a pain to remember going through the sequence. If you forget.. you are in for a solid thump on the lens and the lens mounting ring.. Hope it helps.. Cheers!

Gimbal Setup.

I am having some issues with slight jerks on the roll axis using the HFG. 1.3 seemed ok. 1.7 I had roll coupling. Just updated to 1.8 and I am seeing the stepping. When I roll the copter quickly the gimbal is mostly smooth. when go slow (how I usualy fly) I get a steping or jitter effect.

Anyone else seeing this or have any Idea on how to fix. Gain is low at around 200.

Cheers

Cloud Level Media.

Mike SF

Banned

It's for working for me, with 1.8 rev 1 firmware. I'm using a knob on the transmitter to change the position between horizon (level) and straight down (90 degree movement). To get a bigger range than 90 degree from my transmitter, I needed to change the min and max pulse width to 0.85 and 2.15 (I know this is outside of the std. 1.0-2.0 range, but it works). I also changed the mechanical center/level position of the gimbal, so that center is not level anymore but around 20-30 degree tilted.

Now this is important: when you power up the gimbal, the gimbal uses the current knob position as the gimbal center position. Since center is not horizon anymore, but 20-30 degree deflected, I need to turn the knob on the TX away from the (horizon) end-point before I connect the gimbal power. Then after the HGC controller has initialized itself and moved the gimbal to center, I turn the knob all the way to the end to get the gimbal back to horizon.

The following video shows these two positions and that in both end-points, the gimbal can continue to stabilize the tilt angle.

https://vimeo.com/56395731

It's for working for me, with 1.8 rev 1 firmware. I'm using a knob on the transmitter to change the position between horizon (level) and straight down (90 degree movement). To get a bigger range than 90 degree from my transmitter, I needed to change the min and max pulse width to 0.85 and 2.15 (I know this is outside of the std. 1.0-2.0 range, but it works). I also changed the mechanical center/level position of the gimbal, so that center is not level anymore but around 20-30 degree tilted.

Now this is important: when you power up the gimbal, the gimbal uses the current knob position as the gimbal center position. Since center is not horizon anymore, but 20-30 degree deflected, I need to turn the knob on the TX away from the (horizon) end-point before I connect the gimbal power. Then after the HGC controller has initialized itself and moved the gimbal to center, I turn the knob all the way to the end to get the gimbal back to horizon.

The following video shows these two positions and that in both end-points, the gimbal can continue to stabilize the tilt angle.

https://vimeo.com/56395731

Mike:
This is great information. Many thanks for posting this for me (and others). I will get right into this and see if I can make it work. I would prefer to do this with one of my levers (on either side of the TX unit) as this is easier for me to control while doing other things in flight but either way will be better than where i am right now. Thanks again. Happy New Year.

Mike SF

Banned
Glad I could help. I believe you can achieve the same by changing the Deflection parameter (Receiver Configuration -> Current Angle -> Set Range) from the default of 90 to 150. It's important that you get additional gimbal movement at the end of both the horizon and straight down setting e.g. 20-30 degrees to keep the tilt stabilization going on both ends. So overall you need around 150 servo travel. Then change the physical center point of the gimbal and adjust the TX so you can move the gimbal by 90%. My TX knob has a range of 0 to +45 (out of -100 to +100), but this likely depends on your transmitter. I'm using a ER9X.

Hi Mike: I was also able to get it to work. It was a little different setting it up with my Futaba TX but the end result was there: camera straight ahead and also the ability to point straight down with with plenty of movement in either direction for "stabilization". The problem that I am now having is that after installing 1.8 REV 1 F.W. I am right back to where I started where my horizon is all screwed up again. I have tried every FW they have offered and each time I have to go back to 1.03 in order to get my horizon to stay level in roll. Do you find that when up update the firmware it is necessary to go through the entire calibration process over again? I have done that with each FW update in the past (never did any good) but I did not do it this time so I am not sure if this is necessary or could be part of the problem. I flew for just 4 minutes and by the time i landed my roll was off by 20 degrees. Any thoughts on this? (Thanks again for your help)

Mike SF

Banned
Pete, I can't really answer that. I just got the controller last week and updated to the new firmware before I did anything else. Afterwards, I did the two calibrations. I used the "refrigerator" method and it worked very well. Took me just several minutes to get the "Good" status from the calibration software.

So far I have not seen any real problems with the controller (yaw-tilt coupling or the roll problem you described), but I have to admit I was just flying 4 batteries (each around 7 minutes). I still have to tune the settings, but it's very close and stable. I'm using the AG550 gimbal from Gary and my controller sits on the back of the gimbal around 6 inches away from the RX100. I'm still waiting for the shielded box though.