Hobby King X-Dart Quadcopter. Mode 1 to Mode 2 Hack.

Skywalker

I bought one of these cheapo X-Dart quads from HobbyKing($19) and didn't realize it was a Mode 1 (throttle on the right). Since I have no intention of learning Mode 1, I decided to tear the transmitter apart. The Mode 2(throttle on the left) hack was actually fairly easy. This does require some soldering skills.
1. Remove all the screws from the back of the transmitter.
2. Remove the screws from the circuit board.
3. Desolder all the connections from the sticks(10 total per stick, the 4 big ones are grounds)
4. The sticks need to be switched from side to side. Look at the back of the stick and bend the 3 pins on the right hand side(see picture) up so they will not push through the circuit board. Re solder the sticks back on the board (throttle on the left of course)
Note: the red circles on the picture are my mess up. Those pins can be pushed backed through the board and re soldered.
5. Solder jumper wires from the 3 pin connections back to the other side of the board.
6. Screw it all back together and have fun! this Thing actually flies really good!

Attachments

• back open.jpg
    back open.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 319
  • xdart.jpg
    xdart.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 302
  • connection.jpeg
    connection.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 284

badbug

Hey! By little brother got this for his b-day and got the mode 2 instead of mode 1. I had a faint idea of how to fix it and this cleared it up and now he is flying around joyously after our solder job.

Good Flights! :highly_amused:
-BAD BUG-

Last edited by a moderator: