highest posible windspeed to fly?

ssjheli

Hi
I Have a request from a customer to fly in beaufort 9 the same as 44 kt or 21 to 24 m/s. is it possible? I have been flying in 15m/s without problems.
and then it is out over open ocean. Would you do it? and how much would you ask for it?

Søren Jørgensen
Rotorcam.dk

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, it's possible, but tricky. This is actually sort of a worst case condition video. A really crappy quad, flight controller not completely tuned in. Not just high winds, but in an area with very high turbulence.

A conventional RC heli would have much less problems in these conditions. A better multirotor would also work much better. Flying in high winds without obstructions (turbulence) such as out over water would be much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
The Wookong specs says it can handle up to 17.9mph which is far lower than the 50mph (44kt) you wish to fly in. It depends on the platform to be honest.

What aircraft/system do you want to fly?

Smooth wind flow over flat surfaces such as water can be handled much easier than turbulence.
Think of turbulence as invisible tumbleweed bouncing across the ground with upwind side air going up and downwind side air dropping rapidly...... very hard to control altitude and pitch in such conditions.
And then there is ridge lift, convection, thermal activity etc. depending on temperature.
There is a specialty micrometerology course that includes details on this for sailplane pilot, hang glider pilots and parasailing pilots.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
for what it's worth, I've done 22kts gusting to 30 (approx 35 mph) with a Mikrokopter and I was probably good for another 10 mph before I would have been concerned about control, it was completely under control the whole time

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
if you have a request from a "customer" that implies they want decent video? I would say dont bother. Risk to reward.

W. Reimer

As others have said...it's very dependant on the platform you're flying and if you're talking about turbulence being part of the equation. I regularly fly in 20-ish knot winds...my f550 will handle them easily. My Phantoms will fly in them providing I'm flying over flat, open terrain...add any trees or buildings anywhere near where I'm flying and they quickly are uncontrollable. Oddly, the least controllable of all of my multi's is my Gaui 500X. It will not fly in them with any level of control...it's quite difficult to get it both on and off the ground intact in most cases with that sort of wind. I suspect the issue is primarily due to the flight controller in the Gaui

ssjheli

Hi thanks for the replies.
I fly with a my ohne hex design with a zenmuse just under 7 kg with a flight time 12-14 min.
What bothers me is when the multirotor WKM reaches 35 deg then it will start to float with the wind!!
I agee that a multirotor flys better in open terrain and can take a lot of wind.
I have to start from a ship in at least 3m sig. wave high.
Can the wkm initialize when the ship goes up and down.?

Søren
Rotorcam.dk

Emowillcox

I got my naza to initialize out on a boat in the sea in 3 foot waves.
How big is the boat and how much room you have for landing?
I found the hardest part was landing back on the moving boat. We were on A 36 foot boat. I ended up having to get someone to catch my kopter

jes1111

Take off and land from a heaving deck in 44 knot winds? With a Zenmuse on board? I don't think you could charge enough to cover that risk level! My choice would be a re-lensed GoPro on a small over-motored FPV buzzer. Less target for the wind to get a hold of, less tears when you lose it. In those conditions you'd have to regard the machine as "disposable" and price accordingly.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Will DJI systems initialize on a boat? That's something we have had problems with on APM. The gyros need to be stable to calibrate. There was one guy I know trying to do work like this, and his only solution was to boot up the system on the shore, and then keep it alive with hot swap batteries for the entire job. Rather inconvenient for sure.

ary

I have flown big hex from tankers, mostly in heavy winds
Take off is easy, landing is another story. Just prepare for turbulance & dont panic if 1st or 2nd attemp seems are not possible to land. keep your other finger ready to flip IOC/heading lock
Stay away from radar on ship. Never have any problem with GPS on deck
Never take off from other small ship in big wave, its an instant suicide
Now I have Super X, Its better than WKM

Ary

Hi thanks for the replies.
I fly with a my ohne hex design with a zenmuse just under 7 kg with a flight time 12-14 min.
What bothers me is when the multirotor WKM reaches 35 deg then it will start to float with the wind!!
I agee that a multirotor flys better in open terrain and can take a lot of wind.
I have to start from a ship in at least 3m sig. wave high.
Can the wkm initialize when the ship goes up and down.?

Søren
Rotorcam.dk